• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Ever Rent an Enclosed Trailer?

UnlimitedMatt

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
At the end of this month I may be in the position to need to rent an enclosed trailer. I will be loading a Miata project and half of a garage worth of tools, plus some other household items. I was thinking something in the area of 7.5 ft x 16 ft. One I looked at weighed 1650#, the stripped down Miata is < 2000#, tools should be around 1000#, misc household items < 750#. My new GMC has a 7000 lb tow rating, so I think I'll be ok weight wise.

I was hoping someone here has had this experience and can recommend somewhere to rent from or who to avoid. Thanks!

First off, what are you going to pull it with? That's a lot of weight.

How far are you going?

The largest enclosed trailer you can normally find is a 14 footer and not wide enough for a car.

I think old man is correct on the width as for length I know I rented a U-Haul that was a 16' one time but that was a long while since then. Remember you have to have enough room to get out of the car even if you plan on using the window. Your truck should pull it ok as long as you don't have a lot of mountains to go through.

If your Dad belongs to AAA they have free towing
or find a buddy with AAA you can rent a box truck for around 30 $ a day unlimited millage just have to return it where you rented it

The Miata is like half a foot wide and you could exit trough the top. You just want my stuff out of the garage! I don't see the need for enclosed. A regular trailer would work right?

I think a U-Haul truck with full car trailer is the way to go unless you have a big tow rig, something larger than a Cherokee. Better to rent the big box truck than subject a Cherokee to pulling something big and heavy.. the "in town" option where you pick up and return the truck and trailer to the same location will be cheaper.

For clarification hasnt owned a cherokee for like 3 years. Would be pulling with a 2015 GMC Sierra.

Probably not a great idea to try to stuff a Miata into a "cargo" enclosed trailer. Something like that NEEDS to be securely strapped down. Under moderate braking, car tires sitting on a wood deck will slide easily..... then you have a Miata poking through the enclosed part of the borrowed trailer you now own.

If it helps ya out Matt & David, you can borrow my car trailer. I imagine you're looking for an enclosed trailer to protect the tools and other household items from winter weather/road slop?

Your Sierra should have no problem towing my trailer, but you'll need a trailer brake controller - if the Sierra isn't already set up with one. Or..... leave me the Sierra and you can borrow my dually with the trailer.

Troy - Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you posted.

I was thinking enclosed for my 'assumption' of being able to get everything packed in without worry of loosing anything.

Lastly, little dirty misspoke, my new truck is a Canyon. It is listed at being able to tow upto 7000 pounds, so I need to keep that in mind. I may need to make more than one trip.

Place up here off 25/weld county road6 does rentals on trailers I believe. He has just about everything.
Problem with box truck with the car in it is the break over angle to load it. Not gonna be too hot on the Miata. An enclosed will work. Dunnage and straps should keep it solid

Dunno if the Canyon should really use a trailer as big as mine and definitely not without a trailer brake controller. My trailer is 2100# empty and the Miata isn't a heavy car so - might be ok.... it is a flat, straight haul out there.

the old company I worked for had a few canyons and they had a hard enough time pulling a small car trailer not so much on the going part it was ok underpowered I think but it would pull but omg if you had to stop quickly good luck with that. be safe man.

Also consider a box trailer and Wyoming wind will kick your ass all over the road especially with a light load. Not fun with a light tie vehicle.

You could try calling Parker Trailers, they rent out several options.

http://www.parkertrailers.com/trailer_rentals-p4002.asp

As I am sure you are aware, the tow vehicle is really important when it comes to stopping. If the trailer brakes were to fail, could your tow vehicle make an emergency stop with reasonable safety? Even though you are "only" towing up i-25, there are several hills north of Longmont that are steep enough to get the EGT's into the red with an empty trailer - if you don't have gauges, you do risk transmission or motor damage.

I do not rent out my trailers, with the exception of one of my sponsors who uses my 2 car trailer on occasion. I do offer trailer space to clients, friends and customers, either as a shared ride (2 car trailer) or stand alone (single car trailer) but I use my truck, and I do the driving, as well as doing the tying down of vehicles. Using standard motorsports rates, expect to pay between $1.25 and $2.00 per mile. Mileage is total mileage accumulated on a round trip, even if the vehicle is just being transported one way. Transported vehicle and contents of trailer are usually NOT covered by insurance.

Whoa......... he's ALIVE!

Hi Grant! :wave:

i recently bought a 16x 7.5 enclosed trailer to move and store my 1930 model A. ~2000lbs. It is a tight squeeze, but it did fit. Thake it for what it's worth, I drive a 2014 Chevy 1500 and wouldn't do it with anything less. Brake controler and good tie downs are a must. Wind resistance is huge with an enclosed trailer. I've got a v nose and the 5.3 does 10mpg at 70mph with the trailer loaded and empty.

Hi Grant;

Hope all is well.

Hi Guys

don't have time to visit too often. Really miss hitting the trails with the Cherokee gang.

I have reduced my race schedule a whole lot for this season (still running an IMSA Lites car, and will be back at Pikes Peak again) so possibly will have time to hit a trail or two this season.

hope everyone is well

Back