• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any 2 meter guys (hams) in the chapter?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
How many people are Hams? Anybody using 2 meter radios? Hand helds?

I just got a couple of multi-band Baofeng radios, one for my Jeep and one for my teardrop camper, just to handle comms between the two.

Many of the other chapters seem to be using the Baofeng's and programming them for the FRS bands for on trail communications.

KE0ITX here.

I have a cheap Baofeng handheld, a pretty good dual transceiver Yamaha with built in APRS broadcasting in the JK and a classic old 70's era Yaseu in my J10. I haven't done much since I got my license but I plan on setting up the JK with full APRS capability at some point (if I don't sell it first).

I just got a couple of multi-band Baofeng radios, one for my Jeep and one for my teardrop camper, just to handle comms between the two.

Many of the other chapters seem to be using the Baofeng's and programming them for the FRS bands for on trail communications.

I carry one of those Baofeng radios in the Jeep. I too have it programmed for all FRS and GMRS frequencies. I also program local repeaters for the places I travel, as well as the common emergency bands.

Currently, I have one in the DD Jeep, the Street/Trail Jeep, and one for general use.

Though the LIPO battery has good capacity, I use the battery eliminator (VPS-001) and external mic. On the DD the radio clips to a cup holder and I use a home brew DDRR ant on the roof. On the Street/Trail Jeep I use an Omni dual band vertical, which get changed out to a 1/4 wave whip on the trail.

I got a GMRS lic a while back, so I programmed in the FRS/GMRS frequencies as well as the MURS frequencies. I set the power so it only does .5W on the FRS only frequencies.
It's there if I need it, though I don't go off-road much any more, and then many times the people I go with have no comms or CB only.

I like the radio, it's cheap and effective. Some of the older mics need a slight modification to work well (they didn't line up the mic hole with the element).

A lot of new hams find themselves with this as their 1st radio and 2M Repeater work as their 1st mode.
Many Techs don't realize that along with 2M and up, they have privileges on 6M, 10M, and CW privileges on the other HF bands.
I built a $13 Chinese redesign of a 49er a while back and have had many good conversations on 40M CW.

Last edited:
Well I am going to follow this thread out of curiosity. My older brother and father (both passed away....) were Ham General class licensed Hams (the highest there was) from the 1960s till the 1980s. I still have all their old WWII Army Air corp surplus and modified radio gear from the 1940s. All their new 1970s rigs, and stuff stuff was picked over years ago, long gone. Several are massive paper weights, LOL, like the 2KW transmitter my Brother build around 1960 (Weights about 100 lbs). Talk about a power hog, LOL. Probably would survive a EM pulse and be good for use after apocalypse, LOL. If one had the kill-a-watts to power it. LOL. This is similar to the two receivers I saved. I use to sit in the attic for hours in the 1960s and listen to world wide broadcasts on short wave when I was about 10. The labels on mine say Army Air Corp, My father was a pilot in WII. I never could get good enough at Morris code in those days to get on the air:

18538159426_dd278113a1_b.jpg

Back