• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another situation at Virginia Tech

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-fired-at-virginia-tech-officer-reported-shot

http://www.vt.edu/

From VT Alerts (1:12 p.m.): Suspect remains at large. A police officer has been shot. A potential second victim is reported at the Cage lot. Stay indoors. Secure in place.
From VT Alerts (12:47 p.m.): Suspect described as white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack. On foot towards McComas. Call 911
From VT Alerts (12:37 p.m.): Gun shots reported- Coliseum Parking lot. Stay Inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.

man, that school just can't catch a break :(

Hope the guy is caught before he hurts anyone else.

When are they going to stop disarming the responsible students and educators at VT? =(

The whole flock is safer when the wolves can't tell the difference between the lions and the lambs.

Billy

Non sense. Everyone should be disarmed. In fact, it should be illegal to shoot other people and then this wouldn't happen. We just need more laws, that's all.

A friend of mine from high school who is a police officer tells me that the local news are reporting the shot officer and other victim have both been confirmed dead.

RIP... even a traffic stop can go wrong far too fast.

Update: Alert remains active; stay where you are
(Posted: 3:09 p.m.) There are no new substantiated reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Status of the shooter remains unknown.

Update: Secure in place alert has been lifted
(Posted: 4:31 p.m.) Law enforcement agencies have determined there is no longer an active threat or need to secure in place. Resume normal activities.
Virginia Tech Police, in conjunction with other law enforcement agencies, have determined that there is no longer an active threat or a need to secure in place. Resume normal activities.

Update: Police remain on scene
(Posted: 4:19 p.m.)Virginia State Police and Virginia Tech Police remain on the scene of an officer-involved shooting on the Virginia Tech campus. At this time there are two confirmed deaths. One is a Virginia Tech Police Officer. The second is an unknown male subject who was found deceased in a parking lot near the Duck Pond. A weapon has been recovered at the location of the second individual. Reports of any additional shots being fired or any additional victims are unfounded.

When are they going to stop disarming the responsible students and educators at VT? =(

The whole flock is safer when the wolves can't tell the difference between the lions and the lambs.

Billy
A more accurate analogy would substitute dogs in for lions. My "puppy" is a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross, both big flock guard dogs. He's supposed to be able to take on wolves, mountain lions, and bears. They also usually work in packs, but just the one would be enough to ward off most wolves or coyotes, probably deter mountain lions and bears even. He's over 100 lbs and can jump up and snatch treats out of my hand even when it's above my head, and I'm 6'2". :D

Its just crazy, I do not understand why this peaceful town and beautiful campus has to endure so much pain.

The officer was on a routine traffic stop and was shot by a passer by, senseless loss of life.

They released that the slain officer was a 4 year veteran of the VT campus PD. He was slain by a passer by, not the stopped motorist. The shooter then fled a quarter mile down the road to "The Cage" parking lot where he ended his own life.

This could be a lot of things but I doubt it was actually that random of a killing. I'll bet the two knew each other or it could have been a love triangle of some sorts but that is pure speculation on my part.

Billy

You know, this is one of the things i very much dissagree with about the left. For example the debate on being able to carry guns on college campuses. I beleive a ccw, should be valid juuuuust about everywhere, planes and courtrooms, maybe more exceptions. But when the left wing hears about it, they think all of a sudden frat boys are gonna go out en masse, and get ccw's, and it'll be the wild wild west in no time...

BUUUUT then the right goes out, pretending this is a bruce willis movie, and the hero of the day is gonna leap in, boom headshot, have a nice day... this also... doesnt really happen, the gabrielle giffords shooting case proves this, a nearby civilian was armed, and damn near allmost shot another innocent man after he subdued the actual shooter....

More guns isnt the answer because the hero will swoop in and kill the baddie, but as someone mentioned above... not being able to tell wolf from sheep....you would have to ASSUME SOMEONE is at least armed...

Its another complicated issue, that i realllly dont see any intelligent debate about... from either side.

You know, this is one of the things i very much dissagree with about the left. For example the debate on being able to carry guns on college campuses. I beleive a ccw, should be valid juuuuust about everywhere, planes and courtrooms, maybe more exceptions. But when the left wing hears about it, they think all of a sudden frat boys are gonna go out en masse, and get ccw's, and it'll be the wild wild west in no time...

BUUUUT then the right goes out, pretending this is a bruce willis movie, and the hero of the day is gonna leap in, boom headshot, have a nice day... this also... doesnt really happen, the gabrielle giffords shooting case proves this, a nearby civilian was armed, and damn near allmost shot another innocent man after he subdued the actual shooter....

More guns isnt the answer because the hero will swoop in and kill the baddie, but as someone mentioned above... not being able to tell wolf from sheep....you would have to ASSUME SOMEONE is at least armed...

Its another complicated issue, that i realllly dont see any intelligent debate about... from either side.

I'm not sure I know what scenario you're describing with the Bruce Willis thing. I don't want to jump to any conclusions with a response to that.

Regarding Representative Giffords, the guy that recovered Loughner's gun was not pointing the gun at people in a threatening manner, which is the reason the armed citizen did not shoot him. He used restraint and good judgment, just like a LEO would. He was just as likely to be shot by a LEO as by the armed citizen, which is why he shouldn't have held onto Loughner's gun a second longer than he had to. If he would have been shot because he was holding onto the perp's gun, it would have been a tragic accident, but it would be unfair to blame the armed citizen.

Of course we could play the what-if game... if the citizen wasn't armed the guy that recovered the gun wouldn't have been shot. Yes, and if another armed citizen would have witnessed Loughner taking his first shot, maybe that little girl would still be alive.

Regarding more guns not being the answer, statistics disagree with you. (Unless you just mean that it doesn't SOLVE the violence problem - of course that's true. We'll never be able to completely eliminate violence, unfortunately). Do you think we should take guns away from all the good guys (including cops)? If the answer is no, then how can "more guns for good guys" not be helpful?

Oh, and the "Wild West" is a myth.

Billy

The shooter was not a VT student, his identity has not been released yet by VA State Police

Breaking news; The shooter was wanted in a car jacking in Radford VA the day before the shooting. He held up a reality company and stole a Mercedes SUV at gun point. He was a part time Radford University student.

Last edited:
As a student at VTech in the early 70,s ,there were guns on campus. I had one. Was a member of the shooting club.Kept it in my dorm room.
If I needed to carry it to the range it was in a case,and no-one even looked twice or questioned what I was doing....
My how times have changed...even carrying a package that resembles a gun will lock down the campus...

Back