• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am I crazy to think this is a decent deal, '99 engine in a '98?

So I called the Craigslist leads today, all 3 of them.
CL #1) Pulled the motor but broke the mounts off the side of the block so he scrapped the motor.
CL #2) Claims his motor has 50,000 miles on a rebuild but has no proof. Engine is from an 87 or 89.
CL #3) Out of a '91, says the engine came out of his friend's Jeep to swap in a V8? Complete, unbolted and unplugged.

I'd really prefer a 96-99 engine from everything I've been reading so far about NVH.

So...

On Craigslist, I'm striking out.

I'm not going to a pick-n-pull in zero degree weather. Call me a nancy pants if you'd like, but no thanks.

With none of these leads playing out well, my wife is pushing me to rebuild it myself (and farm out what I need to the local machine shop). A rebuild is on my bucket list so I'm up for the idea. Now I will need to do A LOT of reading.

First step is to finish getting the motor out of the car. :thumbup:

CL #1) Pulled the motor but broke the mounts off the side of the block so he scrapped the motor.
CL #2) Claims his motor has 50,000 miles on a rebuild but has no proof. Engine is from an 87 or 89.
CL #3) Out of a '91, says the engine came out of his friend's Jeep to swap in a V8? Complete, unbolted and unplugged.

I'd really prefer a 96-99 engine from everything I've been reading so far about NVH.

So...

I'm not going to a pick-n-pull in zero degree weather. Call me a nancy pants if you'd like, but no thanks.

With none of these leads playing out well, my wife is pushing me to rebuild it myself (and farm out what I need to the local machine shop). A rebuild is on my bucket list so I'm up for the idea. Now I will need to do A LOT of reading.

Those leads where just a sample. Keep looking you'll find one. Hell I have one but it is from a 2000 with the crack prone heads, and it hasn't ran sense 08. It ran like a top though before I wreaked the thing....

So...

I had the engine in my 90 rebuilt by a reputable automotive machine shop and I have never been disappointed in how it runs. The only thing they re-used was the block, crank, rods, head and valves. They bored it 40over, decked and milled it. They did the assembly and gave me a warranty. That has a price, I paid $2200 total. That was 9 years ago and 50k and it runs great still. The rear main is just starting to leak a little but no big deal.

Back