• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Always great when you break something you can't even identify

Itotebikes

NAXJA Forum User
Was pressing in an upper ball joint on my 2000 sport and I think messed up the hole pressing it in angled. Is this replaceable with out the entire axle? I'll try to upload a pic...

d3I9ASE

Why do you think the ball joint socket is damaged ?

Are you using the correct angled install adapters ?

The outer C of the axle housing is not easily replaceable, it will be easier and less expensive to replace the axle housing.

Are you using the correct angled install adapters ?

I did not. The hole is badly scored from the splines on the BJ and it's marred at the bottom

Was afraid it was going to be the whole axle getting swapped .

I tore the boot installing it so I had to press it out to replace the whole thing. It pressed our super easy (like I could had tapped it out with a hammer) and that's when I noticed the wobbled out hole. I'm going to press a new one in and tack weld it because I'm an idiot who doesn't deserve nice things.

There is a special Cherokee adaptor kit to get the correct angle on the installer/press, you can often loan one out from the chain parts stores. I've heard there are oversized diameter ball joints available for loose ball joint holes. If you have to tack weld it in with a MIG, soak the whole thing in water and/or wrap it in a wet rag, you can weld when wet, there are plastic pieces inside most ball joints you don't want to melt the cup. But you would likely be better off getting a sand paddle/flap disc/flap wheels that fit in the hole and cleaning off the burrs and pressing an oversized ball joint in there if needed. Take your time don't try to rush it. A vernier caliper is a really useful shop tool, mine is both inches and millimeters, has a drill and tap chart on the back, really handy.

Moog ball joints are supposed to be .006 over stock diameter, tight fit. Spicer makes (or used to) an oversized ball joint (I believe it is knurled), I've seen the listing in the catalog before.

there are plastic pieces inside most ball joints you don't want to melt the cup.

I would just do a tiny tack, I'm a much better welder than I am mechanic. Thanks for all the advice in the oversized BJ's, didn't know that was an option. I'll start the research on that now.

I would just do a tiny tack, I'm a much better welder than I am mechanic. Thanks for all the advice in the oversized BJ's, didn't know that was an option. I'll start the research on that now.
I've tacked some fairly thin materials together and to avoid warping used a pump sprayer filled with water liberally. Wet metal never bothered the weld, it did keep the heat from traveling. I've also got a bucket of heat-absorbing gel that keeps the heat localized, but the water works just as well. I'd use three, quarter inch tacks and make sure they burn in well. Cast isn't easy to weld, hot welds and cleaning the soot/carbon off often helps get a decent bond. Welding it would be my last choice, heat transfer might internally destroy your new ball joint.

I'd actually just tack a piece of flat stock over the Bj instead of welding the bj itself. That way I just tap it with an angle grinder and knock it off when it's time to swap joints again.

A lot of people will say it is dangerous and stupid. Sometimes you just have to do what you can. The ball joints were replaced just before I bought the jeep and in less than 15k miles they were shot again. The moog are known to be poor quality and extremely rough service didn't help. I ordered the spicers because no one around here carries much for these old beasts any more. I settled in on a Sunday to do them, that's when I learned that the moog basically ruins the axle ends. I had to deliver mail on Monday so i tacked each one in place while cooling everything between welds. Everyday for a week I cleaned them off to check for cracks and none ever surfaced. When these go out I plan on trying to source and axle that has never had the moog put in it.

Im also one whos got ball joints welded in. Your definitely not alone

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back