• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Added sentry key / SKIM to my Jeep:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I have mostly finished my 00MJ build the fear of it being stolen is real.

We all know how easy it is to steal both the early and late model XJs. So I decided to add the sentry key to my MJ

I bought a new uncoded SKIM module off of eBay, two keys and got to work. Since my MJ is an 88 I had a used ECU from a 2000 that I had flashed to have my MJ vin put in. If you have the original ECU with your correct vehicle VIN then you could skip this step.

As soon as you connect the SKIM module it activates the SKIM setting in the ECU.

Then plug into it with a DRBIII or other tool, load up the SKIM module, and do “SKIM Replaced”. It will prompt you to enter the vehicle PIN, this is where you make one up you will never forget. It will then tell you the pin is correct and it is programmed. It will then read the country code and VIN from the ECU and set those in the SKIM.

Next program the new transponder keys to the SKIM like you would normally do.

So I now have two transponder keys, which I still need to get mechanically cut, which are set to my Jeep. I’ve tested and without the key installed in the halo ring it starts and then shuts off after 3 seconds.

So I’ve anyone ever does try to steal it, they will mess up my steering column, but not get my vehicle to drive off.

For as cheap as this was, less than $100, I think it’s a great thing to add to your Jeep if you worry it might get stolen, especially if you have lots of mods that attract attention.

Back