• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ - manual valve shaft replacement

Mad Kaw

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee with the 4.0 and the AW4 automatic transmission. Frustratingly, I've managed to snap the threaded end off the manual valve shaft - the threads onto which the nut screws that retains the shift cable arm. Certainly the easy fix is to weld the arm on (fortunately enough of the shaft remains that this would work) and hope the seal doesn't get damaged...but considering that the replacement part isn't painfully expensive (about $45), I'd rather fix this the "right" way.

My question is this...does anyone here know if the shaft can be replaced from under the vehicle without having to remove the transmission from the car, and if it can be done, does anyone know of a good manual that details the process or at least this section of the transmission (the factory service manual, perhaps)? Following on that...feel free to make any recommendations as to where to purchase said manual!

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have the aw4 manual it's from ATSG. Not sure where I found it anymore. But it states the valve body needs to be removed. Then the park rod needs to be removed. Then you'll have access to the manual valve. It says a spacer sleeve needs to be removed with a chisel. Then with a punch a pin needs to be removed from the shaft. Then it should come out. So it looks like you have to get a new spacer sleeve as well.

Back