• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ going to WJ OKS, Disc Brakes & JK Wheels

jwmullen

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've had this XJ for over 20 years now and I'm ready to invest in a wheels, tires, brakes & steering upgrade.
I have a 4.6L stroker motor from Titan, aluminum racing radiator with all electric fans, Dana 30 & 44, 5.5" of lift and pocket style flares rockin 33" GY MTRs.

I intend to convert the brakes front and rear to WJ brakes using some new and some salvage parts from a local yard. Along with this conversion I would like to go to the JK rims.

Q#1: As I understand that will make the WJ knuckle swap easy because I wont need to convert back to the XJ lug pattern. Is this correct?

Q#2: Hows this parts list look? Can anyone see any compatibility issues?

1- Rubicon Rims (take offs)
2- WJ knuckles (Salvage)
3- Spinals (New? right?)
4- Rotors & pads (New)
5- Calipers (New)
6- Brackets, front & Rear (Salvage)
7- MOOG TREs (New)
8-12- JKS tie rod, draglink, jamb nuts, over axle trac bar bracket, and
sway bar relocation brackets for the axle.
13- Ball joint kit for '99 WJ: upper and lower joints and nuts.
14- Some nice 35" tires

I'll upload pics as soon as I get going.

Thanks for reading!

Answer to Question #1

I thought the same thing but it is not as quite clean as you would think. Apparently it is only possible if you don't use the washer on the stub shaft which is questionable. I was going to plan on doing the same thing because I picked up 17" moab wheels and didn't want to have to use an adapter if I did the WJ knuckle swap. I think you would have to use the 00-01 unit bearings and run a 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapter.

Sucks....

Here is the thread I asked about it in

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1123990

In for the answer... Want to go this way as well if I don't go jk axles

You'll want WJ u-joint style stub shafts.

Only available aftermarket, but they are out there. then you can run the WJ unit bearing and have everything work correctly.

You'll want WJ u-joint style stub shafts.

Only available aftermarket, but they are out there. then you can run the WJ unit bearing and have everything work correctly.

Thanks for the wisdom! the stub shafts are a remedy for the front only? what about the rear? will I be able to just bolt on the disc breaks in the rear? any better model of Grand Cherokee to pick from? I'm going this weekend to gather the salvage.

Thanks again! Can't wait!

I don't have a quick answer for you on the rear. You're converting the rear from 5x4.5 to 5x5.

Either:

you'll use Ford Explorer 8.8 discs on the rear at 5x4.5, and then install 5x4.5 -> 5x5 adapters

Or:

You'll want to get some 5x5 axle shafts for the XJ 44, and then run the WJ brakes. I've never tried this, but I'm fairly confident its as easy as it sounds, assuming you can find 5x5 pattern shafts for the XJ 44 (maybe?) or find 5x4.5 shafts and have a machinest redrill them 5x5, which should be pretty easy.

Check the back spacing on your intended wheels. My Sahara wheels are around 6-1/2". Without the adapters, they would set about an inch deeper in the wheel well and rub.

I've run Chevy wheels on jeep before. 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern. I redrilled the bolt pattern on the axle shafts and discs in the rear and the unit bearings and rotors in front. Not sure if there is enough meat to go to a 5 on 5 pattern for the jk wheels. I'd have to compare the flange diameter and thickness. Just another option if you have access to a mill or know a machinist.

Check the back spacing on your intended wheels. My Sahara wheels are around 6-1/2". Without the adapters, they would set about an inch deeper in the wheel well and rub.

If you are planning to use the OEM JK wheels, the above statement should be at the top of your list of concerns. If you fail to address this, you may not be too happy with the results.

Spacers are by far the most inexpensive way to accomplish this.

Forget about the JKS Sway Bar brackets, These work much better
https://www.claytonoffroad.com/swaybar_mounts
If you are going over the knuckle steering ( You should if you are going as far as you plan to) You also need the Goefriet spacers & WJ Right Hand Drive drag link (Crown p/n 52088512), it's easy with the tie rod ends, Just flip it over but the Drag link needs the RHD part to work.
You may be able to drill the rear shafts to the proper bolt pattern, Doesn't Yukon sell rear shafts drilled for both patterns?

Last edited:
If you are planning to use the OEM JK wheels, the above statement should be at the top of your list of concerns. If you fail to address this, you may not be too happy with the results.

Spacers are by far the most inexpensive way to accomplish this.
Yup, if you need to move the wheel away from center, why not buy adapters and be done with it? Not to mention, you could go back to 5 on 4.5 lug pattern with a socket wrench.

Back