• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 - 5.5" lift on 33s

cjstefan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys and gals...I know there are a ton of threads on this topic but I cant find what I'm looking for anywhere. I'll be lifting my '95 soon and I'm going anywhere from 4.5 - 5.5" with 33 10.50 bfg all terrains on a 7" rim (looking for a set of grizzlys btw) and spidertrax spacers. I'm looking for pictures of this general setup with no trimming and factory flares. I want to see how the tire fits from a direct side, front and rear view on flat ground. I'm not looking for pics of 33 12.50s on cut up fenders without flares cause I'm not willing to trim at all and I'll never run a 12.50. I'm also not really looking for flex or angle shots. Feel free to post your lift height and any rubbing or other issues you have/had with this combo. Thanks

They will fit, problem is your uptravel will be limited as you will need to bumpstop. Not all vehicles, lifts etc are equal. They will all be a little different. With larger tires on the late model, sometimes the front bumper end caps are in the way without a little trim.
My recommend is to run a smaller and better tire. But the choice is yours.

I had 32 11.50s on my cj and tj and i love the size but from what I've read about the xj being lighter, the contact pressure from the 10.50 would be beneficial. I'm in md so the rocks are minimal and an all terrain is pretty much perfect for the area. I also like doing water crossings so any extra height (to a point) helps. It seems that I can hit most obstacles head on with both wheels and having my swaybar connected has never hindered me, so I wont really be disconnecting much if at all.

Not exactly what you are looking for but this a on 4.5 lift with 33 x12.5 on a 10 inch rim. No cutting has been done yet

33x10.50s BFGs tuck in the fender well real nice on stock backspacing just to let you know....even when flexing out

Not exactly what you are looking for but this a on 4.5 lift with 33 x12.5 on a 10 inch rim. No cutting has been done yet.

This is actually a perfect side shot. Have you had any issues with the rear tire contacting the back of the flare? What's a rough estimate in inches of how much room you have between the tires and flares?

a friend of mine used to run those tires on stock 15x7 aluminum wheels with no spacer and about 5" lift and he only had to trim his flares a little.
he loved it, i always ran a 33x12.50 and got a set of the 10.50s once and i hated the way it felt on the highway with the XJ loaded up with a weekend worth of camping gear, kids and spare parts.
i sold them the next week.
good luck with your build.

I have 31x10.50 MTR-k's on ZJ Canyon wheels (7" wide) I think the 7" isbetter for that short of a width tire.
The TJ Canyon wheels are 8" wide, I believe.

a friend of mine used to run those tires on stock 15x7 aluminum wheels with no spacer and about 5" lift and he only had to trim his flares a little.
he loved it, i always ran a 33x12.50 and got a set of the 10.50s once and i hated the way it felt on the highway with the XJ loaded up with a weekend worth of camping gear, kids and spare parts.
i sold them the next week.
good luck i can't imagine it would feel much different than 31 10.50s...maybe a liiiittle more sidewall flex. No more pics?

The problem is you will still get fender contact when you turn the wheel stuffed. I'm running 33x10.5 on mine at ~4.5" - Mine will be cut here before too long.

7705C63E-0BE6-4E8A-970B-0BB8EBEB7CD1_zpsyrs4upz9.jpg

3A98C2BC-4CDE-482F-93C6-EFCA76B643CE_zpsnnnrx1ad.jpg

yeah, that's disconnected and almost contacting my stops (I had originally bumped for my 32" KL71's and these Red Labels are considerably taller). The rim is an 15x8 Soft 8 with a 3.75" backspacing.
3FCA32BD-84F0-4379-96F6-A897C6CDA33F_zps5nob7esp.jpg

I think the bfg is 32.7" tall and I'll be running the 7" Grizzly with spidertrax spacers so it'll be equal to a 4.5" or 4.25" bs. I'm kinda counting on it tucking right up inside the flare. I've had pretty good luck through all three of my jeeps as far as never having to disconnect the sway bar. I'm setting it up for more trails and water crossings and stuff than rocks. Think I'll be ok with my swaybar connected?

the higher backspacing should help but I would still be concerned with turning contact. You would be better off staying connected but that is a whole lot of pressure on those bushings and links... XJ's just don't have that much room to tuck.

I'm also thinking about doing WJ (?) control arms since they have that bend in them. I was going to do 32s but I decided on 33s just incase I need a replacement tire somewhere on the road. Everyone makes a 33 but only a couple companies make 32s

Ok I just thought of another factor...what tread width do you guys with the 10.50s have? The bfg a/t tread width in the 10.50 is something like 7". On a 7" rim it'll pretty much equate to a 32.7 x 7r15. That almost seems too narrow doesn't it?

This thread is perplexing me because when I was 4.5" on 33s, before cutting I could pretty much only go perfectly straight. Turning the wheel beyond what it would take to make a soft corner would try to rip the flares off. 3 point tuns fuggedaboudit

Back