• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2003 KJ Liberty AC Compressor replacement?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading every forum and internet site I can find (which could be a problem... ha) regarding AC Compressor etal issues.

My wife's '03 KJ Liberty's AC Compressor Clutch is on it's way out. Started this past weekend w/that awful metal on metal grinding and slight burning smell coming w/the AC Compressor. It's constant whether the AC is on or off. It happened while we were out of town on going to my brothers wedding... :(

So after paying $800 to get it towed back home I was able to bypass the AC using a shorter belt and get it on the road. However, having temps in the upper 90's isn't a fun driving experience... for my wife... and therefore not for me either.

Now my questions. What I can gather, I've read anything from just replace the compressor clutch, must replace the compressor and clutch as a unit (and in replacing the compressor the system would be open so I'd have to replace the Accumulator/Dryer and Orifice Tube as well... and get the system flushed and recharged). What is the general consensus here? Anyone ever changed just the clutch? Have any long-term success?

We have a very good mechanic that we've used on/off in the past. He's not the cheapest, but one of the best around our area. He quoted me ~ $1500 for the repair job (Flush, Replace AC Compressor/Clutch, Accumulator/Dryer, Orifice Tube, Coolant Charge, labor and 3 yr warranty on Compressor) ... I HATE to drop that amount of coin on this rig right now... so any 'cheaper' solutions would be appreciated.

The AC Compressor never seized up, hasn't ever been open and so I don't think the lines/system should have any debris. Can I just swap the Compressor and Accumulator/Dryer and then go to another shop and have them suck out any air and recharge the system? This is what I'm contemplating, but don't want to have to go through this repair again in 4-6 months. Thanks for the suggestions...

The AC Compressor never seized up, hasn't ever been open and so I don't think the lines/system should have any debris. Can I just swap the Compressor and Accumulator/Dryer and then go to another shop and have them suck out any air and recharge the system? This is what I'm contemplating, but don't want to have to go through this repair again in 4-6 months. Thanks for the suggestions...

That is exactly what I have done in the past.

As easy as it is to R&R the compressor on a KJ $1500 is a rip off.

Followup:

Thanks for the info Talyn... I ordered a new Clutch Pulley Kit and swapped out the pulley/bearing and magnetic clutch and she's up and running like new. :) Never had to disconnect the Compressor or any lines so the system was never opened or had to be recharged.

I found a few how-to's and a manual on the Sanden AC unit and was able to do the fix. After pulling the OE pulley/bearing it appears that the bearing failed and started generating a LOT of heart, which melted the front of the magnetic clutch and so on and so forth until failure.

Here's hoping we get another 150K miles out of this one... :)

Back