• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ in Bozeman MT, 31's, 4.10's, D44 - $3000

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Yep, it's time. I have it posted on Craigslist in Bozeman as well, here's the specs:

If you're interested, I can email you some pics, I don't have the time to add them right now.

We've decided it's time to sell the Jeep, just doesn't quite have enough room for a family of four and all our stuff.
The Jeep has about 190k miles on it, I've owned it since 2003, since it had 90k miles.
It hasn't been abused, I have taken it offroad, but mostly exploring. I've never got it stuck anywhere.

The bad:
-There is a dent in the hood and the passenger's fender from a tree branch that fell from a neighbor's tree 2 years ago.
-Paint has some scratches in it from taking the Jeep offroad.
-The valve cover gasket leaks a bit, in the rear. I have the gasket, just haven't done it yet.
-A few very minor electrical gremlins

The good:
-This Jeep has been built up with the intention of having the right platform for a great offroad vehicle. I've taken my time and done things slowly and the right way.
-Here's what's been done:

Suspension:
-3" lift comprised of 3" lift coils in the front, 2" lift leaf springs and a 1" shackle in the rear
-Shocks are Old Man Emu shocks, made by the ARB company
-Has JKS quicker disconnects for sway bar disconnects
-Has Rubicon Express adjustable track bar in the front
-Has an upgraded tie rod from a ZJ Grand Cherokee, tie rod ends are in good shape
-This allows the fitment of 31" tires, which are BFG All-Terrains. They have good tread on them, and spare is full-size.

Axles/etc:
-Rear axle is a Dana 44 from an early XJ that has been rebuilt
-Front is the stock Dana 30
-Both axles have been re-geared from the stock 3.55's to 4.10's to accomodate the larger tires. Speedometer has also been corrected.
-Rear brakes have been upgraded from the stock drums to the disc brakes offered on the Grand Cherokee
-Rear axle has a limited slip differential in it.
-Both differentials have Mobil 1 synthetic oil in them

Engine:
-4.0 6 Cylinder
-4spd auto trans
-Command-trac 231 transfer case
-Upgraded intake manifold from a '99 Cherokee, much better air flow design
-Custom K&N cold air intake
-Bored out throttle body
-Aftermarket exhaust manifold
-Replaced exhaust system including catalytic converter thru tailpipe with aftermarket high flow system. Has a great sound, not too loud, but it doesn't sound stock.

Interior
-Driver's seat has been replaced with one that has the 6-way power seat options.
-Front seats have neoprene seat covers, they're getting a bit faded
-Alpine CD player head unit, not a new one, but works great.
-Upgraded 6" speakers in the front doors and in the rear overhead
-Has cruise control, power windows, etc.

Exterior/Other
-Has wiring and switch for a pair of fog or driving lamps up front
-Has 2" receiver hitch and wiring for towing
-Has a gas tank skid plate
-Currently has a High-Lift jack mounted to the rear bumper.
-Currently has a Thule roof rack up top with a couple bike mounts
-I wasn't planning on including the High Lift or the Thule rack, but we can discuss that if you're interested in them.

Repairs/Maintenance
-Oil changed for last 40k with Mobil 1 synthetic
-Alternator swapped out for a high output 170amp to accommodate future possibility of more lights and or winch.
-New radiator 2 years ago
-New water pump and thermostat last winter
-Brakes were all done 2 years ago, all new pads, all new rotors
-New front hubs/unit bearings last winter
-New heavy duty fan clutch
-New rear hatch struts

If I've forgotten anything, I'll add it as I think of it.
If you have any questions, please ask.
Feel free to send me an email, I'll give you my cell number if you do.

Last edited:
Back