• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Grand Cherokee won't start

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
We had to have the transmission worked on because of a bad torque converter. It's all back together and now it won't start. The odd part is it cranks and cranks and won't start. Also the scanner won't even register. They swapped computers with one from a 1996 but it still won't start. He has checked the sensors and done the voltage tests and everything reads like it should.

Any ideas from my NAXJA friends?

CPS
He probably cracked it.

I have an idea - buy my 2004 WJ to replace it.

Other than that...I've had issues with my camshaft position sensor in my 1996. Replaced it a few times. It's in the distributor. Could that be an issue?

I hope this is the correct one. I always confuse the camshaft position and the crankshaft position sensors...

Well does it have spark, fuel? That will tell alot.

I have an idea - buy my 2004 WJ to replace it.

Other than that...I've had issues with my camshaft position sensor in my 1996. Replaced it a few times. It's in the distributor. Could that be an issue?

I hope this is the correct one. I always confuse the camshaft position and the crankshaft position sensors...

The camshaft sensor is the one under the distributor. They call it a distributor pick up sensor even though the FSM calls it a Camshaft Position Sensor. Get a genuine Mopar one. That goes for the Crank Position sensor as well (the one on the back of the block).

Another vote for Crank Position Sensor. My son had a trans replaced on his ZJ, and the numbnuts that did the work (good reputation heavy truck shop) managed to mangle the CPS.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
did this on my 97 ZJ, real easy to booger up the CPS on trans removal and install if you are not a JEEP guy.

My transmission guy is using the Idenifix software to help trouble shoot the issue. According to him the scan tool won't even communicate with the Jeep. According to Idenifix, when no communication can be established, that means a bad PCM. He's checked out all the sensors and none seem to be defective. He was able to get a used PCM from a '96 and installing it made no change. The Grand still won't start.

As a side note the gas gauge reads empty and the gas light is on. I filled the Jeep up right before I took it to the shop which is about 5 miles away.

I'm with you guys on a CPS but just wanted to add this information to see if that means anything.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Replace the CPS, make sure the battery is fully charged. I fought a 96 ZJ at the shop forever, finally figured out that if the battery voltage is low the PCM goes batty and won't work.

Were you able to get the scan tool to read anything before you swapped the CPS?

My guy can't get it to give a 5V reference. It is at about 2.5 and then when he loads it, it drops.

Did you replace the CPS yet?

mac 'should have one in the glove box anyways' gyvr

No, it hasn't been replaced yet. The reason it hasn't is according to all the information we have found, it has to have 5V coming from the PCM to make everything talk to each other and we don't have the 5V. I guess I'm going to see if he can put one in today and just see what happens.

Say it with me...

"CPS will cause the PCM not to have it's 5V reference and will make the fuel gauge not work"

Replace the CPS, I have a very good suspicion that he screwed it up while dicking with the transmission. If they pulled the trans without removing the CPS it is a sure fire way to damage it.

Last edited:
^ I re-read that link and if the cps is dicked the PCM doesn't work...that's what it says. They only communicated with the body computer.

mac 'replace cps' gyvr

It's running and running very well according to the transmission guy. I will go pick it up Thursday.

PCM was bad.

Back