• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ Classic 4.7L Stroker, 5 spd AX-15, 4x4

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
So as of right now it is my daily driver and I will upload some pictures as soon as I get a chance to clean the vehicle up a touch.

It is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic that came from the factory with the 4.0L, an AX-15 (super rare in a 4 door), and an NP231. The chassis has 246,000 miles on the clock (a lot i know). I bought it 2 years ago with a blown motor from the original owner in Raleigh. The original owner overheated the motor, subsequently blowing the headgasket, etc...

As it sits now, it has a 2" budget boost with pucks and shackles. The rear is sagged out a touch but it's not super noticeable. Aside from that the suspension is stock. As of right now it will need new tires soon, but currently has 235/75R15s.

This is the second Cherokee I've owned and I had HUGE plans for it.... Until it became my daily driver after my BMW was totaled this summer. It would make a great trail rig and would be awesome for anyone looking to get into the Jeep scene, but I have decided to turn my BMW into a track car and I just don't have room for two projects. I also need to get a newer, more comfortable, car to daily drive.

I purchased the 4.7L Stroker from a guy near Charlotte and it only had about 42,000 miles on it. I put it in the Cherokee when it was at a approximately 238,000 miles, so I haven't even put 10k miles on it since January of 2011. The camshaft that was in there had a trashed distributor gear from a bad distributor so I tore the engine apart and put in a new Comp camshaft and lifters. The car/engine also got a TON of new parts all over and I will list them below.

As for the body, it certainly does NOT look like a 250k mile Jeep. It is in great condition and has only one bad spot where it was backed into in the driver's rear corner. I will upload pictures soon.

I did a couple "dyno" runs with an ELMScan tool and it measured 231 hp and 282 lb-ft of torque which is spot on with the engine builder's specifications. Also the company that built the motor was Precision Engine in Houston, TX. This link will take you to the page that lists their motors.... As you can see their stroker is a pricey little bugger, but it does make some great power.

The engine has the following:

• FlowKooler High Flow Water Pump
  • New Timing Set
  • New Plugs
  • New Wires
  • New Dist. Cap
  • New Mech. Fan Hub
  • DPG Off-Road 3 Core All Metal Radiator
  • New Radiator Hoses
  • Brass Ball Valve for Block Coolant Drain
  • New Catalytic Converter
  • New Upstream O2 Sensor
  • Sonic Cleaned and Shot Peened Intake Manifold
  • Stant 195* Thermostat
  • New Rear Main Seal
  • New Oil Pan Gasket
  • New Melling Standard Flow Oil Pump
The Jeep itself has the following:

• 2" Budget Boost
  • New ball joints (upper & lower, left & right)
  • Glasspack exhaust
  • 2 Standard Hella Lamps on the Bumper
  • Alpine CD/MP3 Head Unit w/ iPod hookup & XM Radio
  • Polk MOMO 5.25" Components in front
  • Polk db 6x9 3 way speakers in boxes in the back
  • Tinted windows (I did the front two windows and hatch glass myself so it's not the best)
  • 6 Disc CD Changer (it's old, but if you still listen to CDs it does the job)
I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out and will try to update this as soon as possible with pictures as well as anything else that I left out. Honestly I hate to sell this thing, I want so badly to make a trail rig out of it, but with my new job i travel a lot and I just don't have the time, space, or money for two project cars AND a daily driver.

I'm asking $4000 for it. That may be high to some, but that is my preliminary asking price.

Thanks for Looking!

Also, forgot to mention, the vehicle is located in Wilmington NC.

Going to certainly be a steal because the Jeep is getting new 30"x9.5" all terrains tomorrow along with a Rusty's steering conversion and alignment... Probably going to put a few miles on it over the holiday here but still a great deal. Almost $1000 more going into it.

So for some reason I can't edit my previous posts, but here are some pictures from a couple weeks ago before the new tires. I should hopefully have some newer pictures soon.

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

MODS, do you know why I cannot "EDIT" posts older than one day???? I cannot keep my classified updated.

That way OG for sale threads can't be edited after the fact..say I bought a "new" lift from person X. It shows & its actually a "used" lift. It was not listed correctly so person X edits OG post to cover his tail..not allowing editing solves that issue? My assumption at least.

Well that's just silly, but here are some updated pictures of the Jeep with new 30x9.5 tires:

2012-12-06_16-10-02_257.jpg

2012-12-06_16-10-12_213.jpg

2012-12-06_16-10-20_363.jpg

2012-12-06_16-10-32_261.jpg

2012-12-06_16-10-41_846.jpg

Price Lowered ===> $3500

That way OG for sale threads can't be edited after the fact..say I bought a "new" lift from person X. It shows & its actually a "used" lift. It was not listed correctly so person X edits OG post to cover his tail..not allowing editing solves that issue? My assumption at least.

Whats an OG? Original Gangster?

Surprised to see this still available.

Christmas bump!

bump!

Bump, price down to $3000

SOLD!

Back