• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Fog Light Switch Help

jeremyj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading dozens of threads asking about factory fog light switches with aftermarket fogs and none of them have given me the concise answer I'm looking for.

The factory switch has three prongs on the back. I need to know which order to hook up the three wires from the Hella harness. This is the order, from top to bottom, for the Hella switch:

1. (yellow) to relay
2. (green) 12v power
3. (blue) ground

Can I hook these up in the same order for the OEM switch, or are they in the wrong order? Help!

I've been reading dozens of threads asking about factory fog light switches with aftermarket fogs and none of them have given me the concise answer I'm looking for.

The factory switch has three prongs on the back. I need to know which order to hook up the three wires from the Hella harness. This is the order, from top to bottom, for the Hella switch:

1. (yellow) to relay
2. (green) 12v power
3. (blue) ground

Can I hook these up in the same order for the OEM switch, or are they in the wrong order? Help!

These are the colors that seem to be attached to the fog lamp switch,...

1) Black to ground,
2) Brown with White to park lamp relay,
3) Light Blue to fog lamps and high beam relay.

It appear as if the Brown with White supply the + (positive) to the fog lamp switch when the park lamp is turned on.

This is assuming your XJ have all the OEM wiring in place. If not, then you could use the above to wire in the Hella lamps. I have a switch outside which may have a pigtail on it. I could look at it tomorrow to see the exact pin out at the switch.

My XJ do not have fog lamps but I think most of the wires are in place.

I have been using the Hella harness and switch for a while, but I always hated that cheap, green Hella switch that never lit up like it's supposed to. I decided to comb the local junkyard for a factory foglight switch and the trim piece that goes around it. I successfully found the trim piece with the light up fog marking, but no switches. I caved and ordered a new switch on Ebay ($30) and went to install it today. Much to my surprise, there was already a factory wiring plug and light socket behind the dead panel that my base Jeep came with. I'm not going to use the factory fog light plug, because it's already wired up with the Hella harness.

I swapped the trim piece and added a bulb, which works fine. I tried to connect the three Hella wires to the factory switch, but I must have done it wrong (I was going off another forum post where they claimed they knew the order) because the lights never turned on. I swapped two of the wires to the configuration I have listed above, but it still wouldn't turn on. I plugged the Hella switch back in and they still won't turn on now. I replaced the inline fuse and that didn't fix it, so I picked up another relay. I'm going to try again tomorrow with the new relay, but I'd really like to know what order to plug in the wires to the switch, so I don't burn anything up. I'm already worried I toasted my new switch.

Here is the OEM switch pin out

A) Light Blue , Fog lamp Switch out put.

B) Brown with White , Fog lamp switch control.

C) Black , Ground.

Well, I don't know what I did wrong, but now the lights won't turn on at all. All the wires look fine, all the fuses have been replaced, the relay has been replaced...nothing will get the lights to turn back on. So much for an easy switch upgrade.

Turns out I had two wires switched and popped a fuse on the green wire (12v power source). I swapped the wires on the OEM switch, to ground, power, and relay, replaced the fuse, and everything is perfect.

Thanks for the help, techno.

Back