• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 xj performance

usmclovesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
im trying to get more hp outa my xj i am already getting a flowmaster 40 k&n CAI along with a TBS anything else i can do to get more hp out of it. also im not sure what flowmaster or muffler to get. i want it to rumble and sound like a real beast.:confused:

go for a magnaflow or borla over a flowmaster. Has a nice, deep smooth sound, without sounding harsh or droning. Probably slightly better performance as well, though I doubt you will be able to notice a difference.

The CAI is a good idea I suppose. You could make your own and save quite a bit of money. Either way you need to insulate it or it is not great. If you wheel much you may be better served by building a larger filter container and using a good paper filter.

Ditch the throttle body spacer all together, those things are a worthless waste of money. Instead spend the money to have your TB bored out (at least the bottom ring where it necks down).

Past that, you can throw bolt on parts at it all day and get little to no gains. You could swap to a newer style intake manifold, upgrade your throttle body, and get an APN or borla manifold and see some good gains. Port and polish the head and throw a cam in and you are starting to go places. But for any real performance gains on any motor you are looking at 3 options: Displacement, Forced Induction, and Nitrous.

im trying to get more hp outa my xj i am already getting a flowmaster 40 k&n CAI along with a TBS anything else i can do to get more hp out of it. also im not sure what flowmaster or muffler to get. i want it to rumble and sound like a real beast.:confused:

Homebrew CAI
Bored 62mm TB
'99+ intake manifold (stick a Thermotec heat blanket to underside)
Header, 2.5" downpipe
2.5" high flow cat
2.5" muffler of your choice (I like Magnaflow)
Dual electric fan set-up with clutch fan delete
Port the stock head

If you're still not satisfied with the power after you do all that, you can always build a 4.6 stroker.
You'll find all you need to know at http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

thanks that does help. i looked a websites and found www.rustysoffroad.com and found a performace package that im looking for and then some. for $400 you get a muffler ( flowmaster 40 or 50, or cherry bomb pro muffler(non glass pack) a tail pipe 2.5" a CAI upgrade K&n 6x9 filter and a new trottle body, and a TBS. it seams to be a great deal or should i go another way?
im not realy trying to make my xj a drag racer just more pick up and torqe on the highway and off road.

Those are the exact reasons why I eventually built a 4.6 stroker.

very true but i dont think i have the know how to do something like that.:hang: is this going to be a huge under takeing or just a few short days of hard work and lots of curseing:gag:
to be honnest this is my first car and i have never done an engine build.

I think you'd be best served to read and study until you know everything necessary to build the stroker and then buy an engine to build. It will give you the ability to continue driving yours and build at your pace. Take your time, make sure everything is clean, and triple check everything you do. Engines aren't difficult to build, but they are easy to destroy with short cuts.

thanks that does help. i looked a websites and found www.rustysoffroad.com and found a performace package that im looking for and then some. for $400 you get a muffler ( flowmaster 40 or 50, or cherry bomb pro muffler(non glass pack) a tail pipe 2.5" a CAI upgrade K&n 6x9 filter and a new trottle body, and a TBS. it seams to be a great deal or should i go another way?
im not realy trying to make my xj a drag racer just more pick up and torqe on the highway and off road.

You'd be better off upgrading gears.

strokedjeep.com bored TB
performance-curve.com has a nice catback setup.
New cap/rotor and spark plugs.
Mech fan delete with an e-fan setup.

Back