• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Cherokee Pioneer gm swap

Das_Joop

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, not new to jeeps but definitely new here. Had to sell my beloved 91 cherokee before my wedding last year & was promised another soon lol. so last saturday i got myself an early xmass gift, surprise another cherokee.

It's in good condition, picked it up from someone who picked it up from the original owner. Paper work shows jeep performing the swap to the 3.5 gm v6 w/ rochester carb, rebuilt tranny, tcase looks like its been gone over, new r12 ac system, edelbrock headers (& valve covers), all smog equip etc.

standard d35/d30 setup w/ 410's
np 205 (i believe, haven't looked closely since the other night)
complete rancho 3 /3.5"? sway bars, booster, leafs, etc (you know the drill)
cable override for front vacuum
5spd
30x10.5 bfg all terrain ta
pioneer trim
& some "functional" bumpers haha

basically what i was wondering is if anyone has any suggestions on running & enjoying this set up. its my first carburated 4x4 after owning 93 4.0 yj, 91 2.5 yj, & 91 cherokee 2.5 all efi. Took the pioneer up to silverado peak sunday and was having issues with the carb "starving?" on inclines. concerned because

any suggestions on the carb? Mountain driving (i drive to big bear alot in the winter think the carb will have any issues?), anyone want to trade their more regular bumper for the solid bolt-on "COW CATCHER W/ winch & recovery hooks" lol thats currently on the front bumper?

I appreciate any help thats out there, so happy to be back in another jeep.

Hardcore!

I would call Howell or Affordable fuel injection to see what they have available and also the cost. I would swap the carb for fuel injection.

haha ya, its pretty functional at least. hadn't noticed brake/clutch fluid was bad. lost clutch pressure @ tustin & the 91 with a coworker behind me, he just so happened to have a strap so we towed it back to placentia from the hooks worked great lol.

i've been looking at those howell tbi kits, they seem pretty cost effective for what its doing. anyone try one?

Last edited:
i actually have the efi intake manifold & some other parts from it. problem is they did a really nice job reinstalling all the proper smog control parts and making it par for smog. i don't think the original efi would be an option, wouldn't that require a different ecu?

ooops unless multi port injection is different, sorry new to this engine. also pretty positive its the 3.5 60 degree

Last edited:
Never heard of the 3.5
However I used to own an 88 s10 with the 2.8 60 deg. Swapping to the 3.4 seemed like the popular swap if one was planning to retain the 60 deg stuff.

As for smog, you need a complete emission system off the same or newer year vehicle. Go talk to your local smog referee, they will let you know exactly what you need to get it blessed by the state

It should be a 3.4 60 degree gm "replacement/upgrade" for 2.8L. I would get a later model mpi manifold and harness etc. To swap from the carb. Otherwise, a 4.0 or ls motor swap.
Gm had a 3.5 option in the late 00 cars. But nothing that old

anyone want to trade their more regular bumper for the solid bolt-on "COW CATCHER W/ winch & recovery hooks" lol thats currently on the front bumper?

I have a front and rear bumper I'll trade just because metal is precious to me!
As far as the 3.5 are you sure that's what it is? If it was changed out it would have a sticker from a Calif. certified emissions referee some where near the emissions sticker or door jamb, even though that is highly unlikely since the GM 3.5 was not made till 2004. Be sure you do not have a 2.8 that might have been rebuilt and bored to a 3.5 if that is even achievable. The 3.5 was made to replace the 4.3 and others. At the era (2004) pretty much everything was EFI or throttle body! There is a 3.5 in line 5 but you said "V".
As far as the 205 Tcase I can't see GM or any one other than a hardcore off road shop switching out that 100 pound 205 transfer case from a aluminum bodied 35 pound engineered for that vehicle NP231 or other Tcase.
If your are not sure take pics of the case and motor, as Joe Pesci quoted to the judge and D.A. in the movie My Cousin Vinny, "I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with Miss Vito testimony." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgREMBTE28

Back