• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12V wiring supplies -Where to buy?

nota944mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
I'm from the generation of the car audio boom -no pun intended- and I used to be able to find stranded copper wiring in every size and color imaginable at any and every major hardware store. But now I'm having a hard time.

So where is the best place to purchase wire? Most of what I have found on the internet is in bulk form, and expensive.

I need welding cable for battery terminals, as well as fittings, and I need 12 gauge wire to install my auxiliary lights.

I know this is a simple problem with a simple solution, but I keep coming up empty handed.

This is embarrassing :anon:

Welding cable - I got mine from airgas.com.

Terminals - delcity, terminal supply company, waytek wire, etc.

12ga wire - waytek probably has it. Try ebay for small quantities or exotic strand size / color / insulation type requirements.

Northwest Power Products in Oregon was a supplier I used years ago. They have the best mil-spec terminals I have found.

5-90 makes great cable upgrades, have never heard a bad word about them, and he is a member of NAXJA.

West Marine has a large selection of cables and terminals also. The two local ones here have work benches and tools available so you can custom make your own cables at their store.

For small guage wires that are pliable and numbered visit an elevator service company. 20 years ago :)gasp:) I was able to purchase used 14g-22g very flexible wires in multiple colors to make my own harness for an old CJ. Had a friend that was a storekeeper and he told me elevator companies will replace a whole loom if there is even a small nick in the insulation,.

Last edited:
parts-express.com for random wiring ends/fittings/connectors. A decent source for not terribly overpriced wire. For the big stuff seek out your local welding supply store, you should go make friends with them anyway.

For good quality wire, go to a Electrical wholesalers store, and ask for TXL or SXL wire. They may have to look it up, but they can get it.

Back