NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 24th, 2012, 22:10
NAXJA Member

Odessa cylinder head 0331 replacement

Ok so i am having to get my engine rebuilt after my 0331 gave up and cracked in the usual place..

We have enough into this rig and intend to keep it for the long haul so a random used engine just wont do.
(dont want to end up having to swap engines more than once)

Unfortunately it seems all the rebuilt engine companies (at least the ones i talked to) reuse the stock 0331 heads that came on the 00-01's .

One of them (Jasper) even tried to tell me whoever told me there was a problem with those heads was trying to make $ off of me and that there was never a problem with the head it was the gasket used in the factory from those 2 years that caused those issues .. ( he was very rude).

So i decided id get the head in hand i want and then find a rebuilder to do it with a head i feel better about.

But Try as i might i couldn't find the 03+ (or was it 02?) heads with the TUPY stamped on them anywhere locally or on ebay.

Or even a 4.0 from those years running or not (at least locally)

So i have pulled the trigger on this from Odessa Cylinder Head
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170697825439...84.m1423.l2650

Seems like a small charge for peace of mind that my rebuild will last as long as it should.

Has anyone had experience with these ?

I searched but i didnt see any posts of anyone that had theirs on and tested for an extended period of time , just people asking about them.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Odessa cylinder head 0331 replacement

If it is a "new" part, why do they want a core return?
Old February 26th, 2012, 22:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
If it is a "new" part, why do they want a core return?
that is a good question.. I think I will ask them
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:47
NAXJA Forum User

Let me guess. No response from the ebay seller?
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:08
NAXJA Member

well it's Odessa cylinders ebay account so I will contact them directly. Figured no one would be there on the weekend so I'm calling today.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:09
NAXJA Member

also I believe they sell rebuilt ones and new ones ..
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:38
Member# 2368

Yes, I have had experience with this Company and I was very pleased.

The Company also goes by Clearwater Cylinder head. They are out of Clearwater Florida.

I purchased a set of remaned 3.7 heads from them for the Jeep Liberty last year. I had the heads in a reasonable amount of time.

They give you the 30 days to get the cores back... My rebuilder had the engine longer than that. I called the Company and talked to the lady there (Can't remember her name) and she said it was no problem and extended the core deadline. They were very nice.

4.0 head I haven't dealt with.

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Clearwa...2130357599.htm

http://cylinder-heads.com/Home__.html
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:44
NAXJA Member

Okay so the guy at Odessa was super nice and seemed to know his stuff.
He was shocked the guy at Jasper would say they weren't an issue and would actually reuse them.

He even mentioned the TUPY head as possibly a cheaper alternative to their head and told me they do not cast those (made in brazil) heads anymore so they can be harder to find and would pretty much not be found NEW..

He said that they use the old heads springs and other parts on various remanufactured heads that they fit on and scrap all the 0331 stock heads because "they are all junk"

He assured me that all their NEW heads are indeed new and have never been on any vehicle before..

Kind of makes sense to offset the cost of the head a bit it made theirs the cheaper of the 3 upgraded replacement heads for the 0331 i was able to find.

He mentioned that these constantly flow out the door and a flood of cracked (between 3rd and 4th) 0331's stream in .

Last edited by OutkastBoss; February 27th, 2012 at 07:51.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:57
NAXJA Member

Wow ! i sent a message to the ebay and then immediately called ..

was happy with the C.S. on the call.. Then Ding! phone says i have E-mail.
they already answered the ebay message (Super Fast).

Message Says:
Yes Its a Brand Spankin new Head
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:18
Member# 2368

Like I said. Good folks.
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:59
NAXJA Forum User

In that case, for the price, it sounds like a good deal. Now, if only they would have cast the valve cover mounting surface one half inch taller...
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

I bought a 0331 head from them. I bought through CCH as opposed to the oddessa ebay store because of a longer warranty. Same head I believe but I would rather spend the extra money(wasn't much money) to get a better warranty which I hope will end up being wasted money(meaning I won't have a problem again). They were VERY NICE and easy to deal with on the phone. I'd deal with them again in a heartbeat.
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:44
NAXJA Member

After having alot of trouble with the local shops not wanting to use the Odessa head for my rebuild (wtf?)

It seems like these guys are engine Swappers not rebuilders as they are getting their motors from a rebuilt distributor and swapping them in .
And like Jasper and anyone else thats reusing the Crappy origional 0331 heads they are saying there never was a problem and that the odessa head will void warranty.

I did find a Performance Shop that would do it on a "if we think its our fault warranty" for like 3,000 and the mechanic i was talking to had a 2000 cherokee that did the same thing so he was aware of the issue.
And AXLE BOY (a 4wd specialy shop) Was well aware of the issue and wanted 3,000 with a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. to rebuild using the odessa head. (my best bet if i pay someone to rebuild).

After all these Large numbers and uninformed shops around here i think i may just swap in a motor myself (ive done it once for a friend) and return (or sell) the Odessa head. ( I still want a New rebuilt)
I did Find 2 companies that sell rebuilts that Note that they do not use the Stock head but New casting heads. (after i got my odessa head of course)

One was Engines Direct (an ebay seller) its 2,000 and has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REMAN-JEEP-CHEROKEE-4-0-LITER-LONG-BLOCK-ENGINE-2000-2001?item=270928763306&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197. m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po %3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6882004844407352030

The other is Powertrain Products inc. I like the deal enough that i think i may go this route and swap it in myself for 2,000 It has a 4 year million mile warranty Is a Complete Rebuilt and tested Motor and heres a part cut and pasted from the description:
"This engine comes with a new head installed that will not crack like the previous 331 casting does from jeep. "
http://www.powertrainproducts.net/to...tory-s/795.htm
Seems like a better deal than Engines Direct and they have a real website (not just ebay)
On Powertrains site they have a "Tour our facility tab" that clearly explains the process of how they clean rebuild and test these..

Im thinking Powertrain if i swap it myself or Axle Boy if i dont ..

Last edited by OutkastBoss; March 9th, 2012 at 07:48.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:00
NAXJA Member

Hmm just found this one thats pretty reasonable from Titan engines 1,695 with a 3 year

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactur... 0a93&vxp=mtr
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:27
NAXJA Forum User

Do some research on Titan before you pull the trigger(here and Jeepstrokers).