• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New cylnder lock and Ign Swt but no start

grizzlyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a lot of no start threads, but I haven't found a solution to my problem. Several weeks ago my key would not turn to the "Start" position in my 89 XJ.
So, I purchased and installed a new Lock cylnder, but still no start. I decided that I would try the Ign Switch. This isn't a fun job either. So after a few hours, lowering the collumn and changing out the switch, still no start. All the electrical components work, I replaced the starter just last summer, so I'm wondering if it is a relay of some sort or a blown fuse link. I do not know where the links are located, or any kind of a starter relay. If anyone has any ideas some help would be nice. Thanks

Did you try adjusting the switch up or down the steering column? There is a very small but critical range of movement that can prevent the start contacts from making contact. I don't know whether it is typical, but when I did mine several months ago, I found that too much one way, the accessory position wouldn't engage and too much the other way no start.

Don't know if this is your problem but you might try it. As I recall you can get at it to adjust without lowering the column.

When turned to the start position, all the gadges peg and the radio turns off, just like normal, but nothing else. I still have the wheel off and the collumn down, so I'll try to adjust the starter.

If I jumped the starter and it fired up, I guess that would rule out the starter relay, Thus putting the problem somewhere in the ignition switch area?

i just replaced my ignition cylinder and it started the first time and wouldn't start after that also...my buddy jumped it and it started it was weird but it worked

Are you saying that now you can turn the key and it DOES go to the start position? What about the other positions, like accessory?

The switch can be adjusted to compensate for any slack in the actuator rod. You may only need to scoot the switch over a bit.

The key turns to the start position, but nothing happens. It does the same thing before I decided to change out the ignition switch, which leads me to believe that the problem is elsewhere.

If I jumped the starter and it fired up, I guess that would rule out the starter relay, Thus putting the problem somewhere in the ignition switch area?
There is a seperate relay for the starter that is on the passenger side behind the battery. Follow the smaller red cable from the battery, it will lead you to it.

OK sorry about posting a link to the manual. I have seen this posted a many a time befor so I figured it was fine. I have it from the result of a post on here aswell. As I cannot edit my post can a mod please remove my link to it. Thank you

You said in your first post that you couldn't turn the key to the Start position. They would typically point to the switch or lock cylinder. If you are able to turn the key all the way, and you had the problem before, it would point elsewhere.

You can search the forum for how to temporarily bypass the NSS to see if that's the problem. Also, try cranking it in neutral. Do your backup lights work?

Tried jumping the starter and it runs like a charm. I have no Idea why but the ignition works fine now. Thank you all fro you help :)

grizzlyxj said:
When turned to the start position, all the gadges peg and the radio turns off, just like normal, but nothing else. I still have the wheel off and the collumn down, so I'll try to adjust the starter.

Neutral safety switch failure will give you these results. search on cleaning it and you'll most likely find your culprit

Back