• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oops, where does the hose go?

davehoose

NAXJA Forum User
89 aw4 4.O
I just pulled my neutral safety switch out to clean it and as I was pulling the wire through, a hose came off from somewhere. I took a picture of it with my digital but don't see how to get it in here. Anyway, it has a clip with a hole so I assume it was supposed to be held somewhere with a bolt, I don't think it was the nss bolt. At the end of the hose is a short metal hose that must have plugged into somewhere. It appears to have oil in it but it's running toward the back of the vehicle - tranny fluid maybe? isn't that red though?

help!

Maybe a vent line - I plugged it and drove around for awhile. Didn't seem to effect anything yet, sure looked like oil to me but I couldn't really smell it for some reason. It was definitely a lubricant. It is running from somewhere in the back of the firewall area maybe, judging from the length. It runs over the top of the tranny and I can't see or feel where it goes from there.

I'm going to guess without a photo that it's the trans vent line. If that's the case you don't want to plug it. A picture would really be helpful.

This is your tranny vent hose and should be attached to the pass side upper bell housing bolt, the one with the E-12 torx head. Has your motor and/or tranny been out lately or ever? Thats the only way it could have come loose! Fix it before you go wheelin or you could get water in the tranny. The tube faces toward the center of the vehicle. Good luck getting to that bolt...its a tight squeeze.

87manche said:
I'm going to guess without a photo that it's the trans vent line. If that's the case you don't want to plug it. A picture would really be helpful.
color me dumb, but how do i put a picture in here?
and just a follow up, the fluid coming out of the line was clear and felt like oil. wouldn't the tranny fluid be red? i haven't changed the fluids yet in the transfer case or the tranny so i don't know if they are clear or red.
as far as i know, the engine/trans has not been out but it's 17 years old and I haven't had it that long.

another question (sorry) if this is the vent line (i can't see because my trouble light broke) does it push or plug into something or is it just bolted to the bell housing?

a.jpg

OK, I have an AX-15, but that look an awful lot like my vent line and it's bracket. I would imagine that the same part is used.
It should be attached to the top of the trans, I'm not precisely sure where on the AW4. I've got one outside I can look at tomorrow. ANd the other end with the bracket is attached up on the firewall on my MJ.

That is most definatly the tranny vent line. I cant explain the clear fluid. It goes back in there just the way you see it and should not be pugged.

On my '95 with auto and aw4, my 231tc vent was connected to it. The line for the tranny was a little higher up with a vent cap thingy on it. Try tracing it back to the top of the transfer case on the driver's side.

Kyung

Its definitly a vent line,
When I put my engine back in a few days ago I saw that too and could'nt remember where it went so I just zip-strapped it up out of the way. Dont forget to take out what ever you plugged it with though

I just checked on my 90' that the engine is out of right now, so its very easy to see. This is the t-case vent and not the tranny vent. The tranny vent has the filter on it. Mine was mounted to the upper pass side bell housing bolt.

corbinafly...I stand corrected!

Well whatever vent it is, I bolted it to the firewall just above the bellhousing (and unplugged it). I drove around and all seems fine. I then checked the tranny fluid and it's not red???!! My owner's manual says to use dextron II which is red as I recall. I'm thinking I need to change whatever is in there just to be safe. It is at the proper level though.
Thanks to all of you who verified this is a vent line and not something that came "unplugged".

dave

as it's been verified that this is the T-case vent line that should also have dexron in it. However, you'll have a hard time seeing what color the fluid is if it's in a thin film.

xjtrailrider said:
I just checked on my 90' that the engine is out of right now, so its very easy to see. This is the t-case vent and not the tranny vent. The tranny vent has the filter on it. Mine was mounted to the upper pass side bell housing bolt.

corbinafly...I stand corrected!
Yeah. It's hard to tell with the limited space we have. I would actually bypass the metal tube and extend the line higher up into the engine bay like the front axle vent is. I did this with all my vent lines (rear axle, trans, and t case). Not really necessary if you don't plan on any deep water crossing though.

Kyung

Back