• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L with AW4 - flexplate

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the stock flexplate on a 1990 XJ with the 2.5L motor and AW4 transmission? I have been working on swapping an AW4 into my 94 YJ, and I have everything but the flexplate figured out.

I purchased a flexplate for a 90 XJ 2.5L with AW4 and it has no "trigger ring" for the CPS. The 2.5L AW4 bellhousing I got had a CPS on it so I assume there should be a trigger ring on the flexplate. Anyone have a picture of a stock XJ flexplate or any advice?

Thanks

Chuck P
www.oldjeep.com

Might not be the advice you were looking for but as far as I know the 2.5 did not come with the AW4. It used the older 3 speed autobox. I might be wrong about this but as far as I can remember I don't think you could get a AW4 with a 4 cylinder.

The AW-4 does not directly mate with the 2.5L.

87-90 XJ and commanche could have an 2.5L and AW4. Trust me I've got an AW4 with the correct 2.5L Bellhousing out of an 89 XJ sitting on my bench, and a service manual that says it came that way. Unfortunately I didn't have the brains to get the flexplate along with the tranny and now the donor vehicle is gone.

Anyone able to answer my flexplate question?

25AW4.JPG

Chuck P
www.oldjeep.com

Last edited:
I believe I have a flex plate still bolted to an engine. I'll see if I can get some pics. this weekend. Are you interested in it? JIM.

Nevermind....

EDIT: You beat me to it Jim!

Last edited:
There was a thread and some discussion on Pirate about the same thing. It was quite awhile ago, though.

Guy in my club says that that the spacing on the CPS ring is different on the 90 XJ and 94 YJ because of the different injection systems. So it appears that I'm going to have to redrill the 909 flexplate that I have.

JIM I would still like to buy your flexplate if it has the cps ring on it.

Last edited:
oldjeep said:
Guy in my club says that that the spacing on the CPS ring is different on the 90 XJ and 94 YJ because of the different injection systems. So it appears that I'm going to have to redrill the 909 flexplate that I have.

JIM I would still like to buy your flexplate if it has the cps ring on it.
that may be very correct, since the 90 would still be renix and the 94 would be chryco.

Here's the plan. I'm getting my original MT flywheel back today and I'm going to pull the CPS ring off of that and use it on the new flexplate. (After making really sure to mark the correct orientation) ;)

That is going to be interesting. The tolerance on the spacing is around .002" max since the spacing to the pickup should be around .005-.008". Even drilling an old one to fit should be done by a machine shop.

If you need any of the "little" parts for the 2.5L, AW-4 set-up, feel free to let me know, as I just yanked that set-up out of my '87 MJ to make room for a FoMoCo 347ci stroker with an NP435/Early Bronco D20. I have all-ready done the "stroker" 4.0 thing, and while it is decidedly better than stock, the Ford 302 wieghs a LOT less than the 4.0, uses the same radiator connections, AND has a MASSIVE aftermarket for support.( that ought to stir the "stroker" pot abit. :) (Sorry to hi-jack there a little bit.)

Lucked out, sort of. The 94 999 flexplate has the correct tone ring and space to drill the holes I need for the AW4 convertor. I've got access to a whole bunch of precision milling equipment and a guy who knows how to use them so that's no problem. Removing the CPS ring from the flywheel is obviously impossible since it is just notches milled in the flywheel. Once installed I'll have to check the clearances to see if the depth difference to the face of the rin is made up in the bellhousing or the CPS.

P1130002.JPG

Just as an FYI for future searches, here's a picture of the Cherokee Flexplate with CPS ring sent to me by ILLXJ. Definitly not going to work with the newer injection, but not sure why the aftermarkett replacement flexplates don't have the ring on them.

2.5Cherokee%20Flex.jpg

I am also currently working on AW4 from 4.0 XJ swap to 1994 YJ 2.5. I am looking for AW4's bellhousing, torque converter and flexplate for my application so I'd have a direct bolt-on solution. I am aware of CPS ring issue but that should not be a problem.
I wonder if I can get the AW4 bellhousing for 2.5 from Isuzu and the rest from other cars? I did find out that AW4 for 2.5 has 60 degrees GM V6 bolt pattern. I have XJ 4.0 with AW4 as a donor vehicle.
Thanks.
Andrey

Back