• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Block Ground Nut

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im trying to clean my grounds and replace the braided ground on my 98 XJ. I need to know the size of the nut that holds the ground to the block, I don't currently have anything big enough. I don't have the jeep here, so I can't measure. I will be going to the hardware store in a couple hours so any help would be much appreciated.

The braided ground that goes to the cylinder head bolt is what you're talking about, right? I believe that's a 3/4", but I could be mistaken, it's been awhile. Something in the back of my head tells me it's 7/8"....I dunno. Just go to Sears and buy a set of big chrome deep standard sockets, can't hurt to have them around for future work anyway, and they're not that expensive.

Theres no sears around, Im gonna hafta try for an el cheapo walmart set probably, but that gives me the range of a set to look at. Thanks.

98XJSport said:
Theres no sears around, Im gonna hafta try for an el cheapo walmart set probably, but that gives me the range of a set to look at. Thanks.
Well then go to WalMart :D

Those sockets are handy to have, I assume you already have a 1/2" drive ratchet to work with. It's easy to get thrown because the bolts aren't metric like most cars today.

Got a set, should be good to go.
Yeah when im not working on my jeep Im working on my celica, talk about 2 different worlds.

Thanks for the help

I think I can safely say that the nut is NOT as big as 3/4" or 7/8". I'm thinking more like 1/2". So as long as you get a standard set, you'll be good.
What are you replacing the braided strap with? I used a short battery cable.

The stud it goes onto takes a 1/2" ring lug, so it's either going to be a 7/16" fine or a 1/2" fine thread. I do remember that hex size being a bit wonky tho - I think it was actually a 16m/m mid-length socket that worked well, which probably makes it 11/16".

Bit of a roundabout way to answer, I know, but I'm working from memory here...

5-90

11/16 did the trick. Thanks for the help.

The thread size of the stud protruding from the headbolt is 7/16"-14 (7/16 Coarse) The size of the nut hex (for the wrench size) could differ depending on the nut manufacturer, mines is 11/16". I know this becuase I just had to get this nut yesterday ;)

LOL, just noticed you already solved this. Duh, I'm a little late...

Back