• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Real Quick Radiator Question...

BusterXJ95

NAXJA Forum User
Called around, came up with a GoDan(?) from Advance for $132, Transpro for $128 from AZ, and Modine from NAPA for $180. Did a search but now confused, is GoDan the same as the Transpro, Part No. 432335? Thanks.

(Yeah, I've posted the same question at JF, but need an answer quick - gotta get the XJ running cool today.)

GDI, Transpro, and Modine are now all under the Proliance umbrella.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd buy the modine and the transpro and compare them. If they are identical, return the modine. If the modine looks like a better piece, return the transpro.

What I actually did was buy the CSF from DPG, but that won't help you change your radiator today.

Well, got it done. AZ said they had a Transpro for 128.00 so I went with it. The box said GoDan, so again, I guess it's all irrelevant since they're probably all the same. NAPA for the first time disappointed me, they had a Modine for $181.00.

The radiator pull was fairly easy. The hard part was the damn quick disconnect. I just finally said the hell with it, Dremeled off the end of the old radiator fitting and used a hose clamp when I put it back together. The plastic quick disconnect in my opinion looks less secure than a good quality hose clamp. I spent more time trying to figure out how to deal with damn quick disconnect than it took to replace the rad. Anyway, it's only temporary because I'm going to replace the old tranny lines this week due to leaks where the line connects to the tranny.

Temp is down below 210, even with the air on. I also replaced the fan clutch since I had the radiator out. Overall, this was a quick and easy job and I learned a little bit more on how this thing is put together and got the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Thanks

As long as you flushed BEFORE you pulled the radiator (always a good idea...) and used distilled or R/O filtered water to fill, you can get away with just using distilled/diluted vinegar for a system flush every other year afterwards.

Changing the fan clutch later doesn't require removing the radiator - just remove the upper radiator support and lean the radiator forward, and you'll gain enough room to slip the clutch off.

I've used mainly Modine to now (Canadian, until the takeover,) and Performance Radiator (Thai, oddly enough) with good results. I have both brands in daily service, and I am happy with them.

5-90

Back