• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine shuts off while driving

ufc tapout ufc

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 87 cherokee laredo with a 6 cylinder 4.0 and while im driving down the road it just randomly shuts off on me. when it does my stereo and headlights and everything work but the motor just turns off. when i pull over and put it in park it starts right up with no problem, before it turns off it dosent make a sputtering noise or anything its just kind of like someone hits a kill switch on it. I only take an 15 minute drive to work and it does it once on the way there and once and the way back

well i don't know for sure, but my '87 just recently started to die at random times. turned out that when i had it looked at by a mechanic,(he unplugged the cps and i didn't know it) the male/female pins for the cps were not aligned, and vibration from driving would cause poor contact sometimes. weird thing is that it took a couple years for it to show up. anyhow you might unplug the cps and check it with a vom meter and check the connections while you have it open. aside from that you may have to follow the fsm for such symptons, check for fuel, spark etc. on various components. intermittant problems can be frustrating. i am sure someone else on the boards will have some very good ideas besides mine, i was just first.

Back