• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Slipping?

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
When my Xj is cold, from a stop while in drive the trannie slips for a about a second or so. ie...I press on the gas the motor revs up then the truck suddenly kicks into drive and takes off....When the truck is warm this no longer occurs....Also, no other problems with the trannie.....fluid is ok........Is this the torque converter causing this?
I have to pull the motor this summer anyway so I was thinking about replacing the TC was well.

Any thoughts?

gmcelroy said:
When my Xj is cold, from a stop while in drive the trannie slips for a about a second or so. ie...I press on the gas the motor revs up then the truck suddenly kicks into drive and takes off....When the truck is warm this no longer occurs....Also, no other problems with the trannie.....fluid is ok........Is this the torque converter causing this?
I have to pull the motor this summer anyway so I was thinking about replacing the TC was well.

Any thoughts?

I had a Chevy Van that did that and it ended up being the seals. I added a pint of brake fluid and the problem went away.

Kevin

So you put it into drive, hit the gas...at first it goes nowhere then BANG jerks and goes normally?

Sounds like a valve body problem. It's possible there's some dirt in there or something.

JeepTherapy said:
I had a Chevy Van that did that and it ended up being the seals. I added a pint of brake fluid and the problem went away.

Kevin

Just curious, what does the brake fluid do?

gmcelroy said:

Any thoughts?

Mine does the exact same thing. It started after I drove 500 miles with water in my transmission. on cold mornings, I put the xj in drive as soon as i start it up with my foot on the brake and let the engine and trans warm up at the same time.

I've tried flushing the trans with chemtool, replacing the filter and all new fluid, and that did not help. I installed a temp gauge and the problem goes away as SOON as the gauge starts to move.

Its been that way more than a year now with no real problems.

I did however track down a replacement aw4 and have it sitting in my garage.

Littlewhitexj said:
fattens up the seals. I wouldnt recommend it.

Thats exactly what it did in my Chevy Van. The seals had gotten old and fattening them up created more ability for the transmission to hold pressure to work properly.

Kevin

Back