NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Tow Rigs and Trailers
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tow Rigs and Trailers Hey, not all of our Jeeps are great on the highway. Post here for tech related to getting your XJ to the trailhead.

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:35
NAXJA Forum User

1990 xj serpentine belt tensioner location?

ok this is sad i just dont understand. well i lost my diagram about the serpentine belt route, i managed that. But now i cant find the damn tensioner to put a new one back on? any suggestions?
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1990 xj serpentine belt tensioner location?

Power Steering Pump. There are two bolts on the back, the top bolt on the front, and a nut on the slider stud - all take a 13m/m wrench.

Once you've loosened those, put a 1/2" socket on the head of the adjuster bolt (runs crosswise under the pump, you may want to remove the airbox to access it easier) and play with that bolt - LOOSEN to remove tension, TIGHTEN to increase it.

Tighten all four bolts/nuts when you're done. The two on the back will certainly want a wrench, and you don't have to loosen them very far anyhow - so a socket really isn't needed for the adjuster bolts - just the crosswise slide bolt.

Be careful you don't crack the "knuckle" that holds tension on the pump - it's sintered, and I haven't been able to start making new ones out of wrought stock yet...

5-90
Old February 7th, 2009, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1990 xj serpentine belt tensioner location?

Holy crap i just spent like half an hour lookin for that last bolt on the back your a life saver, lol. thanks!