• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is my anti-freezs going??

ok ever since i have had my 99 xj sport 4x4 the reserve is always empty

i changed my radtator, hoses, and t-stat and gasket. i fig that would take care of this leak that i guess i have im not getting coolent in my oil or trany fluid and im not getting any puddles under my jeep....other than my diff cover leak..
now its not a huge leak but like over 2 months it was empty again

anyone got a clue on this??

thanx mike

How is your cap? It could be losing presure while you are driving in the form of steam or maybe even a slow leak while you are driving. Good luck!

Go to a shop (or your local community college, if they have an auto programme - likewise a high school) and see about having your cooling system pressure tested. It's possible you have a leak so small that it's only losing fluid under pressure (at operating temperature) and even then, it's only steaming.

A pressure test will help to show that up. System pressure should be 15-16 pounds - if you've got a 13-pound cap, testing to 15 or 16 should still be safe, and allow a comfortable margin.

5-90

frankenjeep said:
ok ever since i have had my 99 xj sport 4x4 the reserve is always empty

i changed my radtator, hoses, and t-stat and gasket. i fig that would take care of this leak that i guess i have im not getting coolent in my oil or trany fluid and im not getting any puddles under my jeep....other than my diff cover leak..
now its not a huge leak but like over 2 months it was empty again

anyone got a clue on this??

thanx mike

Since the 4.0 with the newer 0331 head casting has a tendency to crack the heads, you might wanna check two things:

1. If you have the 0331 head casting (stamped on the driver's side of the head at the top).
2. Remove oil filler cap and look inside to see if there are any crusts of coolant that would indicate a crack between the no.3 and 4 cylinders (most common site for cracking).

Re: where is my anti-freeze going??

Does your exhaust steam a lot on cool mornings?
Pull your spark plugs. If one is cleaner than the other five, thats where your coolant is going.

Back