• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Control Module REBUILD

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I sent my TCU off today to TCU Direct in Florida. They are going to test it and if good return it to me and charge $80. If it is bad they will rebuild it and charge me $279. They also have exchange units available. Since there are so many posts regarding AW4s not shifting automatically I though others might be interested in this information. I will post a followup after the fact with my evaluation of this service.

I was thinking the same thing. I mistakenly picked up a TCU in the junkyard this Summer thinking it was the cruise control module. I think it was about $12.00

I called every wrecking yard in So Cal. NONE. A year ago they were everywhere and $50. It is hard though to get the right one even if they were available. There are 2 different ones just for the 95 4.0 and CA has its own. Fun Fun Fun

tgregg said:
I called every wrecking yard in So Cal. NONE. A year ago they were everywhere and $50. It is hard though to get the right one even if they were available. There are 2 different ones just for the 95 4.0 and CA has its own. Fun Fun Fun
I bet they are talking ECU not TCU.
try www.junkyarddog.com

Last edited:
langer1 said:
I bet they are talking ECU not TCU.
try www.junkyarddog.com

That's my bet as well. For the AW4, you should match the year and vehicle, but you can use different years as long as they were the same ECU type (ie Renix, ODB-I, or ODB-II). Last one I grabbed at the salvage yard cost me $8.

Anyone charging $279 for a "rebuilt" unit is ripping you off. I don't think they are that much new from the dealer! They are probably buying them for $10 at the salvage yard, cleaning them up, and doing a quick check. For $80, I'll gladly plug your computer into my rig and let you know if it shifts right. Heck, if I had know, I would have grabbed the computer from the 94 XJ I saw at the salvage yard today.

It's somewhat to have a bad AW4 computer. There are a handful of other things you should check before assuming it's the TCU. Just curious - What were the symptoms and what did you check before deciding it was the computer?

Last edited:
Yes, everything was checked out first. No I am dealing with the transmission control unit under the dash on the right side. Every indication is that it is bad. It doesn't shift auto just manual. When I was given the XJ I was told the TCU was bad. If I made a misstake I'll know soon enough and will report back.

there are about 3 on ebay

Hey TGREGG was your converter not locking up as well as not auto shifting? I think we might have an identical problem and im anxious to find out what you found out with yours.

If the 95 or 96 TCUs are like the 89, they could easily be replaced with anything from a switch to a simple circuit to activate the solenoids in order. One option would be to build a second, smaller, shift lever hooked to some switch contacts, and convert it to manual/auto, using it to shift manually without a clutch, like some of the expensive sports-car wannabees.

-Skip

tgregg you say your in socal right ? I am in the san fernando valley and everytime i hit the junkyards there are a few jeep xjs there, i am sure you can find on there.
I am talking about the pick it parts located where the 5south meats the 118 freeways.

pete

Back