• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaking rear hatch noise

MNtrailhunter

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have advise on how to stop an irritating squeaking noise coming from my rear hatch? I have a 2000XJ and it drives me crazy listening to the squeak everywhere I go. The hatch closes and opens perfectly and I have already adjusted the bump stops. I think the noise is coming from the bump stops because it stoped when I took them off. Taking them off causes an irritating banging noise which is worse than the squeak. I cant win either way. Any suggestions or experiences with this?

put a small dab of grease on the end of the bump stop

You might try adjusting the latch post in a little. This will tighten the door against the seal. The nuts are between the door jam and bumper ... I think they are 14mm. HTH ...

Les

get two black socks (white socks if your ghetto) cut each sock in half, slide the toe end over rear bumpstops and tie off the sock with a zip tie, and no more sqeaky.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried some WD-40 a while back and it didn't help at all. I just put some real grease on it now and it seems to have cut the squeaks by 90%. I might be able to live with this but will keep the sock trick in mind. Thanks guys.

Back