• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C4x4 front bumper fixin

railroadjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finnaly getting ready to actually fix my Custom 4x4 Fabrication winch bumper that I banged up some time ago. Here's the issue's: I need four welds about 1" long rewelded, a most importanlt I'd like to try and get the dent out. I think the only way the dent is going to be straightened is with some heat. Heat as I'm told will make it more likely to bend again (assuming I don't bolt it all together like I did when this happened in the first place)
Is this something I shold try and take to a metal fabricators shop or something? I'd like to get the bend out because right now it's going to prevent me fixing the trim pieces around there. I've tried a few methods of trying to straighten it by hand, and without throwing out my back it's not going to happen.
C4x4 will sell me a new cover for $100, so I'm looking at cost's of getting the current cover fixed.
So what sounds like a good plan of action here?

Thanks
Chris O.

Sorry, I am not that familiar with what you front bumper looks like. How thick is the metal, what do you mean by new cover? can you post a pic?

I would guess that heat is a waist of time, and you probably need a hydraulic assist tool to bend out the ding. I have bent many bumpers back into to shape with a 10ton hydraulic tool that I have access to and if you use them right you can do alot with them. As for the welds, There are welding shops everywhere, they usually start at about 60/hr, $60 minimum. I would love to help you, but I am really straped for time at the moment and I do not have a welder at my place.

Michael

Oops, didn't mean to do that!
I don't quite get the controls on this system, so I can't quite figure out how to put a picutre up. But if you look a custom 4x4's webiste (http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/) you can get an idea of what it looks like. The bumper's outer shell is like 1/8" steel. I'm getting to the point where I might modify to be like thier (c4x4) new higher clearance bumper, or just order a new shell for it. If I modify it though, I'm back to the welding bit again, so I dunno.

Chris

Hey Chris - if you want to get it welded up I can do that for you with no problems - as for bending it back see if you can ge a hold of a porta-ram set up... (What 2xtreme is talking about) Let me know - I can buzz it back together once you get it straight...

Matt

I second that, I am more than willing to weld anything for any of you guys. If it is going to be painted, you could do some crude bodywork on it and use some filler to make the thing look like new.

good luck,
JJ

Well the main thing is I want to get it looking "not so bent". Right now I'm thinking of doing some customizing to it, sorta making the ends taper up like, uh, well I just want the ends to taper up a few inches. This would require alot more then just a few welds, I REALLY just need to get into a metal fab class so I can do all this on my own, that would solve alot of probelms. I've got a few ideas bouncing around right now, I just gotta sketch them out and see how much work each will need.
Thanks for the offers though Matt and JJ, I'll keep this in mind when I figure out what I want to do.

Chris

Back