NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 3rd, 2003, 04:24
NAXJA Forum User

XJ frame stiffeners

XJ chassis/frame stiffeners. i read about this in 4wheel & off-road, is this a good idea or snake oil?

http://www.tandjperformance.com/prod...chassiskit.htm
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

It's a good mod, but you can do the same with 3x4x3/16" angle. Email GaryE, maybe he can send you some pics. The angle should cost you leass than $50. He said he lost a lot of those strange flexing noises after doing it.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:18
NAXJA Forum User

i was thinkin of fabbing some sort of stiffeners also.....
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:35
NAXJA Forum User

I fabbed mine up. 3x3xquarter inch angle iron. Runs on both sides from old lCA mount's to the rear leaf spring perch. Looks great and works awsome too.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:52
NAXJA Forum User

IMO,this would provide excellent protection for rock damage to your uni-rails, but marginal increase in chassis strength.

YMMV
Old July 3rd, 2003, 18:05
NAXJA Forum User

i made mine this week. i used 1.5 x.120 thick steel tubing and they make a difference. it is nice to have a stiff frame again.

Old July 3rd, 2003, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

I like what you made there mark, very close to what I have seen on some of the jeep speed jeeps with the drop brackets. I definitely like it to stiffen up the drop brackets, but would think that it dones't stiffen the frame up much. Maybe some cross braces between the long tubing and the frame could do a bit more. Seem worthwhile to me if you're not into going for a full cage. _nicko_
Old July 3rd, 2003, 19:31
NAXJA Forum User

it actually did stiffen the frame up. when i drove to work today i noticed a lot less body roll almost none when rounding corners. next i want to make cross braces and tie it all together when i make my cage.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 20:56
NAXJA Forum User

Mark... That's AWESOME!!

I'm building some of those too!
Old July 3rd, 2003, 22:08
Only Slightly Psychotic

I understand the idea behind the angle, and agree with protecting the "frame"rails. Would somebody please explain the thinking behind the tube set up?
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old July 3rd, 2003, 23:22
NAXJA Member

The JeepSpeed guys like those frame stiffeners, so they must work. I would have never come up with that design, but it does tie the front and rear suspension mounts together with a length of tubing that has to twist......something that tube doesn't do very well. It also adds strength to the suspension mounts, which has to be a good thing, and boxes the frame more by adding some additional structure.

I've learned the hard way that we need to add some steel to the bottom of the frame rails, before they get caved in by rocks. A simple piece of steel strap welded along the bottom, or a big piece of angle iron, will do the trick. I wonder how much the angle iron will add to the stiffness, unless it's very thick and wide....and heavy. Normally something made of tubing will provide more resistance to flexing, either square or round.

I made frame stiffeners out of 1x3 boxed tubing, spaced out from the frame by a short length of the 1x3 at each end. The seat bolts where in the way of mounting it flush to the frame, and it didn't fit very well with the slight curve in the frame and floor pan. By spacing it out, it cleared the bolts and fit nicely to the shape. Plus, the one inch gap adds more boxing to the frame and makes it stiffer than if the 1x3 was mounted flush along the side of the frame.

Of course, the cage helped stiffen things up also, but I think the frame stiffeners helped as much as the cage. You know how you can wrap your hand around the top of your door and the roof, and feel how much the door moves relative to the roof when driving on a trail or rough road? Now, mine doesn't move....AT ALL!
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:11
NAXJA Forum User

i just got home from work and man that was a nice ride. the stiffeners took a lot of the shock out of the body. normal bumps i would feel coming home i did not notice. i got to say that might be one of my best mods yet just by the fact that the suspension does the work now and not the body flexing to help it.
Old July 5th, 2003, 03:48
NAXJA Forum User

Does anybody have any pics of their fabbed angle stiffiners? Im thinking of stiffing up the frame and add a roll cage. But I need some ideas. any pics would help. thanks
Old July 5th, 2003, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

more info about angler stiffeners and about the ones pitured above please
Old July 5th, 2003, 15:25
NAXJA Forum User

does anyone have these on their xj in additon to rock rails?

it seems to me the stiffeners would have to be modified to fit?

I have a set of ORGS ' s rock rails and they would seem to blockthe run back to the leaf spring mounting point.