• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease zerc locations

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my rig ready for the trail for this Sunday (she's been stuck on-road for quite some time now), and I'm trying to grease everything up. I've pretty much got all the zerc's from the front driveline and forward, but am I missing any on the back end? I couldn't see any back there, but then again I was doing this mostly in dusk. Any help is appreciated, don't wanna miss anything!

None in the back unless someone replaced universals with greasable ones at some point. Did you get the one on the front driveshaft ? it's on the shaft itself.

Sure did. I kind of went grease crazy...headed out there now to de-grease the driveway! :)

I don't believe so... Is it hidden in there? Or is it one where you have to have a needle to get to it?

langer1 said:
Did you get the one on the front shaft cv joint, in the hole between the u-joints?
What do you guys use to grease this joint? A regular grease gun head won't go into the hole where the zerk is (the space is too tight). Is there an adaptor one can buy? What other options?

TIA ... Maz

Maz said:
What do you guys use to grease this joint? A regular grease gun head won't go into the hole where the zerk is (the space is too tight). Is there an adaptor one can buy? What other options?

TIA ... Maz
My grease gun fits, if your don't the get a smaller head or a grease point.

no intent to hijack here....

how often should this be done. I think I greased mine too much and the boots on one of my tre and the drag link burst when I got the front end flexed. I thought the grease would just push through.

josh

xjguy98 said:
mine too.....doh
Some time the boots have a pressure hole but most of the time not.:mad:
I give mine one shot of grease every other oil change.
Or after running in deep water or real soft mud, just one shot though.
I don't see why you coulden't take somthing small like a ice pick and make a small hole in new boots if the they don't have one.

Grease fittings should be greased every oil change. Many times, going every other oil change can wear out parts faster. Also as said if you get yourself stuck in mud or water, they should be greased. Grease them until you see the old stuff come out (except the front driveshaft, you wont see grease some out of that).

If your using polyurethane bushing you might have to grease them more often than every oil change. I usually have to grease my rear shackles with poly bushing 2-3 times in between every oil change.

What I did was I took a grinder and slowly grinded the sides of the tip of the grease gun until I was able to get it to fit inside the space. I figured that was the easiest solution and the worse thing I could do was screw up my elcheapo grease gun.

Back