• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check antilock light

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj and ever now and then the "check antilock" light comes on. I read the owners manual and it said that the light will come on if the cherokee is in a offroad situation and can be reset by turning the key off then on. But theres 2 problems with that. 1) I am driving just in the city 2) It turns back on a block later.

It means that there is a problem with your ABS! The problem can be anything. Don't you notice any strange driving / steering behavior, like pulling to one side when braking, ABS kicking in when not necessary etc?

As soon as the 'check antilock' light comes on, your ABS is not operational anymore.

The best thing is to pull the codes from the ABS computer: a dealer should be able to do that.

I agree with aardvark. Another common issue, especially with older cars, are corroded/dirty toner rings. You may also check the spacing between wheel sensor and toner ring.

Back