• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Crate Engine

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a line on a Mopar crate engine for a 95 4.0 -Huh I asked? The guy is a Jeep tech, says they had several shipped for recalls back then, straight from the assembly line. This is a long block, with valve cover and harmonic balancer - still wrapped up in the crate.. .

Should be worried about an engine sitting for that long???

Should be in good shape, should be plastic wrapped. After getting it in I'd spin pu the oil pump as the assembly lube is probably long gone and dried out or drop the pan and look it over. $950 is a good price for a brand new long block. ROAD TRIP TIME....

same idea --- I aquired a former crate motor from a off road shop in So Cal, they had detonated a piston at approx 2k mi in there jeepspeed truck. is there a way or place to contact for information on the motor? it still has the mopar id tags attached.

In '96, I bought a brand new engine from the dealership - a '96 crate engine for my '88. The first engine would not hold compression. I had to replace it with another one under warranty.
Perhaps this was one of the bad ones that was "recalled?"

* If I recall, it was about $1600 at the time.

This engine is from a tech who's owned lot's of jeeps, moving and clearing out his garage says the remanufactured engines came with shrink wrap but these have a sort of duct tape over the intake/exhaust ports, it's never been turned over and is still strapped to the 2ft x 2.5 ft crate (open on top) - HB and valvecover in place. I mentioned the problem with some new Mopar engines in that era not holding compression, he says that was true with some of the reman engines but, not the new crate engines.

He seems on the up and up - so, I think I'm gonna go for it. . . I've already got an engine hoist lined up. . . .

Back