NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 14th, 2005, 14:09
NAXJA Forum User

I think I solved my overheating issue!

Well, I have been fighting with an overheating jeep for a long time now, and have replaced one thing at a time trying to find it. I don't have it fully assembled and on the road for a test drive yet, but I am pretty sure this is the problem, and it would always be the very last thing you fix.

Here's what I have put in: CSF 3-Row radiator, gone through several thermostats, new hoses, fan clutch, temp sensor, electric fan, electric fan rewired for in cab control switch. And I was still over heating. I would be fine on the highway, but idling or anything under 30MPH or under 1500 RPM's at that 30MPH and under would overheat. I thought, maybe it's the waterpump, but how could that be? It isn't displaying any of the symptoms of a ruptured pump, like the weeping or constant overheating no matter what. So I wondered, is it possible that the little fins could have corroded off? No way, it seemed like something was pushing the water in there, but it just wasn't pushing enough, especially at slow speeds/low RPM's. Oh well, not much else left to change, might as well.

Who would have thunk it? :rofl: The pump was still trying to work, just the fins had completely eroded off.

Old June 14th, 2005, 14:23
NAXJA Forum User

Re: I think I solved my overheating issue!

Someone else posted some pictures like this a while back. My question is where do the little pieces go? Id be afraid they would be clogging some of the little water jackets up. Or maybe they break off so small it doesnt matter? Have you noticed any little metal bits in your coolant?
Old June 14th, 2005, 15:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94XJ4x4
Someone else posted some pictures like this a while back. My question is where do the little pieces go? Id be afraid they would be clogging some of the little water jackets up. Or maybe they break off so small it doesnt matter? Have you noticed any little metal bits in your coolant?

The little pieces clog up the small passages of your 3 core radiator.

CRASH
Old June 14th, 2005, 15:48
NAXJA Forum User

Further evidence that the stock cooling system WILL work....if maintained.

Rev
Old June 14th, 2005, 16:00
NAXJA Forum User

Here's a "quick and dirty" water pump test - if you see that the engine is heating up at a stop or at idle, run it up to about 1800rpm or so. If it starts to cool off right away, your water pump is likely NOT the problem - the faster water circulation is what's helping to cool your engine.

This isn't 100% accurate, but it can help rule things out...

5-90
Old June 14th, 2005, 16:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Here's a "quick and dirty" water pump test - if you see that the engine is heating up at a stop or at idle, run it up to about 1800rpm or so. If it starts to cool off right away, your water pump is likely NOT the problem - the faster water circulation is what's helping to cool your engine.

This isn't 100% accurate, but it can help rule things out...

5-90

Actually, as you can tell by the pics, there is a little left there to cause some circulation, but only at higher RPM's, so, therefore, I just blew that theory right out the window, because that is what I thought all along until today. Whenever idling or low RPM's, I could put it in neutral and run the RPM's up and it would bring the temp down a little, because what was left of that pump was trying to push some more water through.
Old June 14th, 2005, 18:32
Lifetime NAXJA Member

Yeah, that'll do it!

Owner/Driver/Enabler of "The Fleet"
Self-appointed President-for-Life of the World MJ Preservation Society
Old June 14th, 2005, 18:33
NAXJA Member #1108

What about overheating that occurs during higher rpms? I've had my radiator cleaned out, flushed, new thermostat, but I have yet to check the water pump. Any ideas?