• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seating a Tire Bead

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I've found a bunch of threads on how to do this on the trail (most involve a small explosion), but what's the best way to seat a bead in the comfort of my own garage? I have an air compressor and a set of basic mechanic's tools. I ask because I'm thinking of buying tires online and mounting them myself - how hard is this?

DaveD912 said:
I've found a bunch of threads on how to do this on the trail (most involve a small explosion), but what's the best way to seat a bead in the comfort of my own garage? I have an air compressor and a set of basic mechanic's tools. I ask because I'm thinking of buying tires online and mounting them myself - how hard is this?

actually seating the bead isnt too bad.. just need a good flow of air in to the tire.. the tire should be mounted on something horizontally.. pull up on the tire to get it to seat, usually if you get one side to seat, the other will seat with air...
actually mounting them is the difficult part... but i know some guys on here do it...

I like to do (or at least try) stuff myself, but maybe in this case I should just let the local tire shop do it.

you can also try wrapping a ratcheting strap around the middle of the tire and cinch it down, then try a burst of air.

take the rim lay it on the gound were the front side is facing the sky.the reason of this is bc the front lip on the rim is smaller then the back side.now set the tire on the rim and get half to go on it.from there you should be able to push or jump on it to mount it.do the same agin and your done.to re-bead the tire from there you need a ratch strap around the tread of the tire and then tighten a air an va la.a beaded tire ready to go.

the way i do it is with the ratchet strap or if they are close to seating I take the biggest hammer i can find with a steady air flow going in and tire standing up (helps to have help with this one) and smack it on the tread. kind of like an explosion without fire if that makes any sense.... you might want to check around at some local garages for an old bubble balancer they may have one not in use and part with it pretty cheap.... good luck

In my opinion its not worth the hassle. Thats one of the jobs that I file in the "pay someone with the right tools to do it" category. Seating the bead isnt the hard part.

cmotsvt said:
In my opinion its not worth the hassle. Thats one of the jobs that I file in the "pay someone with the right tools to do it" category. Seating the bead isnt the hard part.

you are right... my shop teacher called bubble balancers tits on a boar hog.. but they are better than nothing at all... unless you're going to do the bb, sand, or golf ball balancing.... yes if it was a daily driver i would take em and get them balanced on a machine. but if i drove daily not very far I would do the other... personal prefference....

TRAILREADYXJ said:
you can also try wrapping a ratcheting strap around the middle of the tire and cinch it down, then try a burst of air.
a BIG ratchet strap.

for balancing, 5 golf balls in each 35" MTR has been doing alright but I'm gonna use airsoft pellets next time I have them apart.

I know its obvious, but hasent been said, make sure you take the valve core out first. Get alot more airflow into the tire that way.

Back