• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Re-gear

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got 32's recently and am thinking about re-gearing. Everyone stresses i re-gear. I didn't want to but the more and more I think about it the more I feel like i should. I have 3.07 gears and its a 4.0. I want it to be my daily driver and trail rig also. I was wondering what gears would be good? I was thinking 4.10 or maybe 4.56. I'd like to be able to comfortable cruise the highway. I've also heard that if i went with 4.56 i would have to change the carrier. I'm basically looking for the best balance between cost and driveablity. I'm pretty much broke and have no knowledge of gears and stuff, but i've got someone who'd be able todo it. Oh and I have a chrysler rear.... if that helps. Someone please enlighten me.

Wouldn't need to change carrier in rear but you would have to in front. Search. this has been covered hundreds of times. 3.07 will not cut it.
Here is a chart to help you chose. Dont forget to search.
4ut17s

put in 4.56s and dont consider anything else

I second the 4.56 range also... I run your same proposed set up... 5spd, 32's and 4.56. My rpm range is about 2750 at 70 mph. Moving up to 4.56 from 3.07 will feel like adding 2 more cylinders to your rig :D

I chose to take a minor hit in mileage for more umph at the lower end. I still get about 16 - 18 mph on the freeway, and about 14 - 15 mph city/hiway. I've never regretted gearing to 4.56... in fact, have you ever heard any say "I've geared my XJ too low"? It's always "I wish I would have gone deeper"......

Ivan

Ivan said:
. Moving up to 4.56 from 3.07 will feel like adding 2 more cylinders to your rig :D

I chose to take a minor hit in mileage for more umph at the lower end. I still get about 16 - 18 mph on the freeway, and about 14 - 15 mph city/hiway.
Ivan

I thought regrearing got you better gas mileage?

rock rash said:
See chart above
f a chart. it puts you back in the correct powerband and makes things easier on your tranny and engine. however what those charts dont account for is added resistance from bigger heavier wider tires and worse aerodynamics from being taller. imho anything bigger than 31s and you must regear even with them it helps. i ran 31s w/456s for a couple months and it was fine.

Ramsey said:
put in 4.56s and dont consider anything else
x eleventy-friggin-billion. I believe that's what I told this guy last night too...

Thanks for the replies.. I just finished my lift about 20 min ago, and slapped em 32"s on. I took her for a test drive and i was happy. I will def. go for 4.56 later when I get the cash, but 3.07 wasnt horrible at all. It was still faster than my old 91 B2200 pickup. Maybe I dont have 3.07.. no clue, but im happy. Thanks again

If you don't think the 3.07's were that BAD, you will LOVE the 4.56's. JIM.

Ivan said:
Moving up to 4.56 from 3.07 will feel like adding 2 more cylinders to your rig

I chose to take a minor hit in mileage for more umph at the lower end. I still get about 16 - 18 mph on the freeway, and about 14 - 15 mph city/hiway.
Ivan

xjfrancis said:
I thought regrearing got you better gas mileage?

It did get me better mileage than if I had stay at 3.07's. I may have gotten slightly better mileage with 4.10's, but gas mileage concerns were over shadowed by low end power I wanted, in my case. As mentioned, higher CG, added weight of tires and other equipment take their toll on gas mileage.

Granted, my XJ may not go as far as a Honda, but a Honda can't go where my XJ can.....

Ivan

Back