• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 HO or 4.0

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ and it has at least to motors in it. How can I tell which motor it originally came with and what is in it now? Can you tell by looking? What are the horse power and tourqe ratings betwenn the 2?

91'+ had the 4.0L HO from the factory, 87-90' had the Renix non-HO from the factory. You can tell too from the air box as the 87-90' non-HO had a temp sensor, and silver air duct flex pipe from the box to the motor, also had 2 small hose lines coming from the back of it. The HO had a very simple airbox with just 2 large tubes coming from it and no temp sensor in the box. The HO has 190 hp and the non-HO 177 hp from the factory, both are good motors being fuel injected 4.0L 6 cylinders. The slightly reduced hp in the non-HO isn't that big of a deal, just the HO has more off the shelf modification stuff to get more hp out of them and they are easier to find donor stuff for them being that they were used from 91'+, not just 87-90'
as the Renix non-HO.

Big Red said:
91'+ had the 4.0L HO from the factory, 87-90' had the Renix non-HO from the factory. You can tell too from the air box as the 87-90' non-HO had a temp sensor, and silver air duct flex pipe from the box to the motor, also had 2 small hose lines coming from the back of it. The HO had a very simple airbox with just 2 large tubes coming from it and no temp sensor in the box. The HO has 190 hp and the non-HO 177 hp from the factory, both are good motors being fuel injected 4.0L 6 cylinders. The slightly reduced hp in the non-HO isn't that big of a deal, just the HO has more off the shelf modification stuff to get more hp out of them and they are easier to find donor stuff for them being that they were used from 91'+, not just 87-90'
as the Renix non-HO.
Thanks for the info. I don't know that the motor I pulled out a month ago was the original or not. I sank in the water and that did it in. I bought a 95 long block and had a 3 angle valve job done, put a factory header on it (it had a manifold) and put a small cam in it. It runs great. So, from the info you provided I probably went from a non-HO to a HO. I also removed all that emision crap to where you can see the motor. Does anybody know the factory torque on both of these motors?

88-90 was 177 hp and 224 ft-lbs of torque.

91-99 was 190 hp and 225 ft-lbs of torque.

id get a HO in there... for fun you know...

Back