• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need clearance

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
I need solid advice for wheel clearance on my 88 XJ. I have 6.5" of lift and 33s, and will prolly go to 35s when these die. I want to maintain a flare setup, but still need clearance. I've researched TJ flares being the best "cheap" upgrade for clearance, I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

Picture035.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture010.jpg

-SteVe :lol:

is that a nasty kink in your tailpipe??

Seach man, you have no idea how much info you will get. Ideas:
Bushwakers
Rustys
TJ flares
Remount stock flairs higher
Explorer flares
No flares

Cool..
Well what looks like a kink is actually a funny angle on the bend over the rear diff, and there is no way I'm gonna spend $200-300 on a set of "aftermarket" flares. Besides, I'm not in a welding class for nothing, LoL. Thanks for the info... I do plan on cutting a bit, and I might try using the factory flares up higher. I can always toss em and get something else if need be.
Thanks, anymore ideas... keep em coming.

-SteVe

liek someone said, you can search up tons of ideas, but there's a few main options-

- BWs or Rustys = $ and awful big (looks / catch on stuff)
- TJ flares = 4 rear flares, they say
- Re use stockers - trimmed up a bit = hard to mount right, at least people say they get knocked off easy
- Run flareless = tickets in some states.

I have same problem. I think I've reached my solution. Run flareless and see if I get a ticket. Two weeks with no flares up front. Lots of city driving. No ticket yet.

For inspection, i may remount the flares with that double sided tape used on plastic body panels.

If I get a ticket, I'll just remount trimmed flares in higher than stock position.

First off, im jealous, you seem to have a more fun ride to the moutains than i do. I have to take roads to get to the ski areas around here. Psht.

Secondly, i recommend finding whatever you can and fabbing up your own. I have heard of old tires (whatever works) cut in half and formed into flares...pretty damn ugly, but functional.

Tire flares may also end up putting you into one of those "you might be a redneck if..." jokes though...

Back