• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/c, onboard air ,and second alt for welder

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
I have the kilby/york on board air setup.I still have, and want to keep my a/c. But i am also looking to add a second alternator for a homebrew welder, as well as redundancy. I was thinking about building a bracket off the side of the york to mount the sec alt. but im worried about the weight of all this hanging on the stock aluminum brackets.

Has anybody done this? or something similiar? or remotely close? Can a second alternator be mounted under the p/s pump?

I'm open for ideas so let's here them.

Dingo

Any room on the fender by the york? No reason for the second Alt to be spinning if it's not being used.... a plate on the fender, turnbuckle, and smll belt seems like a good plan, IF you have the space. I know the 87+'s are packed andstacked, so that idea might be moot. I'm looking into the same thing, but the 2.8 has tons of underhood space.

Storydude said:
Any room on the fender by the york? No reason for the second Alt to be spinning if it's not being used.... a plate on the fender, turnbuckle, and smll belt seems like a good plan, IF you have the space. I know the 87+'s are packed andstacked, so that idea might be moot. I'm looking into the same thing, but the 2.8 has tons of underhood space.

I can set a large case chrysler alt in the hole now and it fits. so i'm sure i've got room, and i want it to turn all the time so i can use it for a backup should the stock one fail.

Dingo

Lincoln said:
Matt here on the board did something similar. I though someone had built a bracket over the valve cover and only put the alternator on when they needed to weld. Used a turn buckle to tension it.

This was the only thread I could find:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3450&highlight=welder

And here are some more pics:
http://home.off-road.com/~wanderingwillys/xjpics/Underhood/OBW/

Thanks I've been researching this for a while but that's one i missed.

Dingo

maybe try and take out the air box, re-route the intake, and put the alternator on the PS pump side? or maybe ask people about where they put their compressors and throw it in there.

Back