• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

never got an answer!

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
Never got an ansewer to this questoin in the correct thread so thought I would place it here...

Since everyone is talking about cutting holes in the hood... I want to do something different.

I want to cut at least 2 holes in the firewall of the engine compartment so that the heat will vent out the "vent" area of the hood. Would this not be a low pressure area also and draw heat out of the compartment?

Just a thought but don't know how much material there is there to go through or if it will work.

Thanks,

JC95

Last edited:
jeepcherokee95 said:
I want to cut at least 2 holes in the firewall of the engine compartment so that the heat will vent out the "vent" area of the hood. Would this not be a low pressure area also and draw heat out of the compartment?

Uhmmm...If you cut the firewall...A.) It will get hotter in the cabin because the normal flow of air while traveling is twords the vehicle...B.) It is probably the Best sorce of strength in the vehilce, and cutting there will decrease the overall strength of the rig.

jeepcherokee95 said:
Never got an ansewer to this questoin in the correct thread so thought I would place it here...

Since everyone is talking about cutting holes in the hood... I want to do something different.

Just a thought but don't know how much material there is there to go through or if it will work.

Thanks,

JC95

I'm pretty sure that's where the cabin air is drawn from and it's usually better not to draw cabin air from the engine compartment.

That 'vent' area of the hood is actually the cowl; and is the cabin air intake. You sure you really want to have the engine heat (as well as gaseous vapors and any flames) pass into that area?

Edited to add: Dangit, Iminocca got me by a minute... :laugh3:

Are you talking about venting into the cowl area (wiper motor & linkage?) This is opposite of what most people do (intake relocation.)

me too (what Yucca said)

The transition from the cowl area to the base of the windshield creates a high pressure zone there. So, bad idea for trying to get air out, but good for getting air in. Thats why the hvac system intake is there, and why some people route there intake there.

Ok... now that makes sence! Never thought of the cabin air comming from in there so yup I guess that would be a NO! on the venting...

In that case why couldn't you just run a fresh air intake to that - cut your hole and mount an adapter for the intake hose and go? Again, how much metal is there to go through? is it just a cut and go or is there a "dead space" for the firewall then the vent area?

JC95

Forgot to point out, if you do this, I think it must be worth a few ponies (not much) but you will here the motor groan, when your getting on it. I like it, some may not. It is not to loud, and not even there when just going down the highway.

Another thing, it is VERY bad on your carpet... With your intake in the cowl, you can go thru MUCH deeper water!!

Jason

Back