• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full width mounts

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
I have a full width d44 pass side drop that I'm putting in a 98'. For those of you that had to tackle the stupid cast in spring pad on the differential how did you mount the coil brackets? I'm going to use the stock coil mounts that I took off another d30. As far as I could tell from my measurements the brackets would be 1 3/4 wider than stock width if mounted next to the cast mount which would angle the coils considerably. Is this angle too much? Or will that have no affect on performance? Can you grind the cast mount down far enough to move the coil mount over on top of it? If I did put the mount butt up with the cast mount where would I put the truss I would need for the upper control arm mount? Also where would the trackbar fit since the diff is on the side it needs to mount to? Will it clear the front of the cover? Any help would be appreciated. If I have to weld to the cast I'll have to take it in to a shop, but I can do the rest if it's just MIG. Close pics would be great help also.
Thanks
Lyle

Not to go off-topic but what t-case are you running with a passenger-side drop D44?

just grind on the cast and grind on the mount to make it fit then just mig weld the bracket to the cast. you just have to preheat the cast before you weld it. Its really pretty simple. I weld UCL brackets to cast housings all the time, never had one break off yet.

BrettM said:
post heating is just as important as preheating.

propane torch, cover it in sand or heat wrap, or hell, throw it up on your barbeque

How much and how long do you have to post heat it?

the longer the better, you want it to cool down as slowly as reasonably possible.

a half hour with a propane torch would probably be enough...
personally, I would just get a bunch of sand, seems like the easiest way, just DON'T let any sand get inside the axle :laugh3:

Back