NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:47
NAXJA Forum User

suggestions on upgrading my 89xj

i presently run a 3in trailmater suspension lift. i am getting ready to do some up grades. i like another guy who just posted would like to stay away from sye, if i can.

here are some ideas i'm considering:

1) rustys 4.5 with new spring paks
2) rough country 4in with new spring paks
3) add a budget boost to what i already have
4) modify a budget boost this is where it can get tricky. add like 1.5-2in spacers up front. then for the rear do blocks instead of regular shackels then add the revolving shackels to it.

i'm presently on 30x9.5s which i would ultimatley like be at 33s but will settle for a 32. i also want to get the most available flex i can get. i'm thinking the last idea will be best. then that will leave me money for disos. and if i need anything else please let me know.

anybody local to the york pa that might be able to help with a wrench-a-thon in a month or so please let me know

<EDIT> one more question. if i do idea 4 does it make any differance which brand of parts i use?

Last edited by cblevy98; March 27th, 2005 at 09:53.
Old March 27th, 2005, 14:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: suggestions on upgrading my 89xj

ttt

don't everbody answer at once.
Old March 27th, 2005, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

I'd go 4.5 inches of lift for 32 or 33 inch tires (some trimming may be required).

As far as brands, just read some threads by searching for the brand name. You'll find out pretty quick the ones that have problems, but remember most people who have no problems don't run out and make a post about it.

Some of the experts maybe could tell you more if you post what kind of wheeling you want to do, if you have an SYE, what axles you run (some won't go over 32 on a d35 rear). Also do you plan to regear?

That's about all I could say except most people frown on blocks for lift.
Old March 27th, 2005, 16:12
NAXJA Forum User

thak you. only looking to use blocks for like1.5 inches or so.

looking to use the revolver shackles and was wondering about their charateristics
Old March 27th, 2005, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

Personally, I would get the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit w/ spring packs. You will still have to trim to fit 33s, but should ride pretty nice. However w/ it being a 98, you may have vibes, seems like every jeep is different in that respect. If you were content w/ 31s, you could get away w/ the RE 3.5" kits w/ spring packs, may rub a little, but not much. Stay away from Skyjacker, ride is harsh! Just my .02.
Old March 27th, 2005, 16:27
NAXJA Forum User

Sorry, I see your jeep is an 89, 96 and earlier xjs are much less suseptable to vibes than 97+. With a 1" T-case drop and the RE 4.5" kit, you should not have any vibes if you also get 4 degree shims for the rear axle. That is what I run, zero vibes.
Old March 27th, 2005, 17:16
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: suggestions on upgrading my 89xj

best lift kit ever

brand - is a toss up... everyone will have their own recomendations
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.