• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAX load weight inside the Jeep?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know how much weight a Cherokee can carry INSIDE? I found threads saying it was 2000 lbs. for TOWING with a manual and 5000 lbs. with an AW4, but that's all I found. I just have to haul a bunch of roofing materials across town so I figured I'd check beforehand, even though I think it will be OK. I've got the AX-15, 4.10's, 33's, boxed frame rails on 3 sides all the way from the LCA mounts to the rear bumper, two AAL's in my stock packs (one extra stock main and one Skyjacker full-length), and Rancho 9000 shocks. I don't think this is going to be a safety issue for a one-time run, but I would like to get people's opinions on how much weight I can carry. I'll be piling 40 packages of shingles in the back plus at least a bucket of tar.

Half a metric tonne, or a little over 1100 lbs.

--Matt

all i know is that i have 8" and 35's... i filled the cargo with boxes of plastic bags, and at freeway speeds it was scary! COG makes a huge difference! i probably loaded 600 700lbs

brandon

just drove from south dakota to nebraska with a ful width loaded d44 and ford 9" as well as the normal 100lbs of tools that i carry - thats gotta be 800lbs...

stoping was the only hard part....

Well, I went and loaded up a 50# thing of nails, a one-gallon bucket of tar, and 20 bundles of shingles. The springs, even with 2 AAL's, are sitting totally flat, but aren't inverted. The RS9000's don't even come close to controlling the sway even on the stiffest setting. We'll see how the springs look once the weight is unloaded :twak: Tomorrow I'll go and get the other half of them.

Door sticker says it all,2700 lbs on the rear axle!

that's gross weight on the door sticker
i would say listen to the guy that says 1100 lbs, that sounds about right. most small pickups are in that area. my door sticker states the gvwr is 4850. the scale at the truck stop says it weighs 3200 lbs. that means i have about 1650lbs of cargo and passenger capacity left before i am maxing it out. i am suprised at that considering the wimpy 205 section passenger car tires it came with.

PapaPump said:
that's gross weight on the door sticker
i would say listen to the guy that says 1100 lbs, that sounds about right. most small pickups are in that area. my door sticker states the gvwr is 4850. the scale at the truck stop says it weighs 3200 lbs. that means i have about 1650lbs of cargo and passenger capacity left before i am maxing it out. i am suprised at that considering the wimpy 205 section passenger car tires it came with.
Well your mostly correct,total gvw is 4850.The individual axle ratings are 2500 front/2700 rear(that would seem like 5200),obviously that tells you that you have to cannot exceed either the individual axle weight(s) or the total vehicle weight by how you place your load!

correct me if im wrong, but the GVWR is based on STOCK components. so if the gears suspension and brakes are all upgraded doesn't this effectively raise the GVWR?

Im going by the fact the a (older) 1/2 ton pickup has the same basic frame as a 1 ton but the 1 ton has bigger axles / brakes and lower gears.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread i was just curious

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
correct me if im wrong, but the GVWR is based on STOCK components. so if the gears suspension and brakes are all upgraded doesn't this effectively raise the GVWR?

Im going by the fact the a (older) 1/2 ton pickup has the same basic frame as a 1 ton but the 1 ton has bigger axles / brakes and lower gears.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread i was just curious

Dingo
Your right on the money,axle&bearing sizes/lubrication/transmission/cooling system/Master Cylinder/brakes,etc all play a part!

I just remembered I have a old Cherokee add and its says right on it, "Payload 1150 pounds". If you also remember with MJs they had the Big Ton or Metric Ton package which was a ~2200 pound payload capacity. Remember, our Cherokee's unibody was designed on Renault's supercomputers back in the day which is most likely why its payloads are derived from the metric tonne.

--Matt

Thats a good example,did you ever see the brakes on a D44 MJ/XJ there frickin huge,I got to weigh these thing before I put them on,I think I'll need brakes for the brakes!
0603997-r1-052-24a.jpg

Back