NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 25th, 2005, 16:14
NAXJA Forum User

more rust

my lift has been on awhile and i noticed the passenger side front mount for leaf spring is not too far from pushing through into cab. before i cut out and have a guy help me weld in some new metal, are there any words of wisdom? like how thick of steel i should use? i was thinkin of puttin a steel plate of some sort between spring bracket and body and one inside obviously, for extra strength .1/4 inch probably, that side sits low compared to driver side anyhow. at first glance spring mount itself looks ok still. any experiance or input would be appreciated. Scott
Old February 25th, 2005, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

Re: more rust

as long as the metal is thicker in the area than stock it should be good. Make sure to take notes and lots of pics, then give us an update with pics. If you are feeling realy motivated to a complete writeup on it. I have never heard of this problem, but i'm sure someone out there has pushed the mount through the frame.
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: more rust

I have this exact problem right now.

I will include pics of my repair when I get to that point.

For now, I plan on doing as you say and using .25" plate on top of the spring purch. I'm going to try and get as much .25" as I can and I was going to tie it into the unibody and rockerguard.

Late tonight or early tomarrow I will be working on this so I will be posting pics soon.