• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Places that can advance an Odometer?

XJStorm

NAXJA Member #1062
Working on buying a Guage Cluster that includes a Tach, the replacement has less miles on the Odo than mine does. Anyone know what (if any) shops are around that can run the Odometer from 145k to my 200k in the Bremerton/Tacoma area? Again, not trying to hide any miles, trying to make it correct. Thanks guys!

XJStorm said:
Working on buying a Guage Cluster that includes a Tach, the replacement has less miles on the Odo than mine does. Anyone know what (if any) shops are around that can run the Odometer from 145k to my 200k in the Bremerton/Tacoma area? Again, not trying to hide any miles, trying to make it correct. Thanks guys!

Doubt you find anybody. Illegal as hell going either way, although most prefer to go backwards.

Go to DMV and fill out an Odometer Disclosure form. Then they will register it in the Computer files. Safe and effective.

Doh! From some other posts I had seen I thought it was legal to do. Have no intention on doing anything illegal. Thanks for the heads up. Now to hope my sale goes thru. I have some White Back Racking Eletroluminescent Guage covers to install if I get the setup. Pretty slick looking. The link is from a different seller/auction, but is the same as what I have in a box. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43952&item=7942541321&rd=1

XJStorm said:
Doh! From some other posts I had seen I thought it was legal to do. Have no intention on doing anything illegal. Thanks for the heads up. Now to hope my sale goes thru. I have some White Back Racking Eletroluminescent Guage covers to install if I get the setup. Pretty slick looking. The link is from a different seller/auction, but is the same as what I have in a box. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43952&item=7942541321&rd=1

GAY. But thats just me. You usually need to take the needles off your gauges. Godd luck getting them on correct again.

I just live with it. Not to flashy, not to basic. JUST RIGHT.

Well, at least you're honest. Can't fault you there. :) As for removing the needles, I thought so too, but the instructions say you can slide them over carefully and avoid removal. If it turns out I have to remove the needles I'll probably skip the covers and resell on Ebay.

XJStorm said:
Well, at least you're honest. Can't fault you there. :) As for removing the needles, I thought so too, but the instructions say you can slide them over carefully and avoid removal. If it turns out I have to remove the needles I'll probably skip the covers and resell on Ebay.

well you probably could but what are you going to do with the little gauges on the sides ? The big tach and speedo should be easy. The others I wouldn't bet on.

In Illinois, after 100,000 miles it doesn't matter or need to be accurate when selling. Just have to state mileage in excess of 100K. I put in a new speedo head at 189K. The new one had 128K..... cool getting a newer motor for only $40. :laugh3:

I keep track in my head so I have a good idea, that's about it. I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Well... either it will work and be easy to do or not. Regardless I'd like to have a Tach. :p

red91inWA said:
You usually need to take the needles off your gauges.

I did a gauge overlay and found out that the needles do NOT come off. They are part of the gauge. If you remove the needle you will be buying a new complete gauge.
At least that was my experience on my 96.

XJStorm said:

I could probably add miles to an electronic odo. But I do not have the ability to remove them.

PM me if you this is an electronic odo.

Michael

Not gonna do anything illegal... and its Mechanical, but thanks for trying to help.

Back