• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a Good XJ Mechanic near Seattle

andyjsimmons said:
Having some issue with my 93 xj--need a reliable and competant mechanic--please give me some advice, thanks.

Do you prefer a shop or to do it yourself and save some $$? Some of us here know a bit about these Jeeps and could probably help you out. :)

The only guy I trust is John Mathews at Auburn Car Repair. He does a lot of work on Jeeps and is on his 2nd XJ himself. He's the only one that works on my rig. Give him a ring at 253.939.5019.

John90XJ said:
The only guy I trust is John Mathews at Auburn Car Repair. He does a lot of work on Jeeps and is on his 2nd XJ himself. He's the only one that works on my rig. Give him a ring at 253.939.5019.

I'd say the same here if he was only a little closer, so I just settle for screwing the XJ up myself. :laugh3:

Seriously though, John's a good guy, he knows XJ's pretty darn well. In the event I ever have a bad problem with my Jeep, it will be going to John's too.

railroadjeep said:
Seriously though, John's a good guy, he knows XJ's pretty darn well. In the event I ever have a bad problem with my Jeep, it will be going to John's too.

and you used to have a mullet!! :shocked:

I've always done it myself, but at this point I think I need someone with a bit more experience. I can't solve this problem. Very frustrating.

andyjsimmons said:
I've always done it myself, but at this point I think I need someone with a bit more experience. I can't solve this problem. Very frustrating.

What is the problem?

The problem is this: Car starts fine, no problems there. But once up and running, I essentially have to drive with one foot on the gas, one on the brake. If I take my foot off the gas, it (most often) shudders, sputters, and dies. Then, it will not restart at all. I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump, all electronic work, buzzers, et al., but that's it. There is no cranking, nothing. Turning the key all the way produces nothing. Once I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then it's back to normal. There are no fault codes. It did show a faulty temp sensor, replaced that, but still the no start after a stall out. If I myself turn the car off, she fires up no problem. If the engine turns itself off, then there's a problem. What's the likely culprit, and why isn't it showing up on a diagnostic?

Could be several things (IAC, CPS, TPS are the common culprits) and you're right, you should have it diagnosed professionally. I've found it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

John-
It was good to meet you at Auburn Car Repair. For all who are interested, it turned out to be two seperate issues. The stalling out is most likely the distributor (although we're not 100% on that one); the not starting issue is caused by a bad NSS. Sadly, that's $300 installed. Ah, the joys of car ownership!

Now did john get you all set?
Are you ready to wheel it ,the Naches ,Funny & Moon rock areas on sat 9/4,we`re meeting Enumclaw Safeway 8am.

andyjsimmons said:
John-
It was good to meet you at Auburn Car Repair. For all who are interested, it turned out to be two seperate issues. The stalling out is most likely the distributor (although we're not 100% on that one); the not starting issue is caused by a bad NSS. Sadly, that's $300 installed. Ah, the joys of car ownership!

No problem...just glad you hooked up with the other John. He knows Jeeps inside and out.

Now it's time to let that rig stretch its legs on some trails.

Just for everyone's edification:
After the NSS was replaced and the stalling issue continued--trouble codes finally showed up. Faulty TPS. Took the throttle body off, removed the TPS which had for some reason been cemented in with lok-tite. Doused the entire thing in TB cleaner, put the new TPS on, put the TB back on. Now she runs like new. Additionally, the knocking problem that usually came on mild grades at around 45 mph is gone. Onward and upward!

Glad you got it handled Andy. When a rig comes in like that with two separate problems, especially both being intermittent, it can be difficult to diagnose. We had to start with the one we could duplicate :) The sound you were hearing up hill under load was probaby pinging (detonation), the TPS has lots of authority as far as fuel control, timing, etc. and would definitely cause that kind of problem. I'm just glad you got it handled.

John

Another bump for Auburn Car Repair & Offroad.

I had my XJ towed down there on Sunday for a new headgasket, freeze plugs, radiator and a number of other parts that would be easier to install while the head was off. John installed the parts in a snap, and identified a number of other issues like a cracked exhaust manifold and leaking oil filter seals. John met me back at the shop at 9PM to pickup the jeep, walk through the itemized bill and review the repairs. Thanks!

Back