NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:35
NAXJA Forum User

Hi, new member

hi, ever since i was a kid i have always wanted a jeep. well my first car was a 1990 honda prelude si auto, 76k miles on it, now it has 84k after about 2 years. i still have it and love it, but ill sell it so i can get a jeep, eventually ill get another one and make sure its a 5speed. ill be turning 18 in 2 days, on the 19th. and i have been lookign and looking around deciding if i want a wrangler or cherokee. im about 95% sure i want the cherokee because its cheaper, and more friendly for a daily driver, nicer interior.

i found a couple online, and there is one that really stands out because it only has 10k miles on it. there were a few others that have about 20k on them, i dont want one with more than 20k on the clock.

i have a few questions:
1. this is a unibody construction correct? is this really strong for an offroad vehicle? it it stronger than a frame since its the whole body, and will have less flex? are there any things to watch out for on the late model cherokees?(2001 year, because thats the one im getting)
any problems at all, name them all, big or small, i just want to know. thanks

well the first one is the one im hoping to buy within the next week, and the few others are ones im considering also if this one has something wrong with it or if something doesnt work out:

number one

number two

number three

number four
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:18
UH-60L Jeep Chick

Re: Hi, new member

IMHO go with the cherokee. you wont regret it i have a 99, and have never had any problems with it.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:34
NAXJA Forum User

They all look like pretty good vehicles, it just comes down to personal preference as to stereo and such. I just bought a 96 in January and of the 3 vehicles I've had before it (plus the countless vehicles I've driven) I enjoy this one the most. Just the right size to give a decent amount of cargo room (I can't stretch out in the back for truck camping like with my Trooper) but it fits through traffic and parking lots a lot better. It has more power than the Trooper, same as a Blazer, but is lighter than both due to unibody construction and it shows when you hit the gas! It handles very good (definitely has the sport side of sport utility going on). It won't beat your Prelude, but hey its not meant to. Gas mileage is ok, I see 15-16 in the city and 18-20 on the highway and I have a fairly heavy right foot...My only problem was a worn radiator hose and a bad water pump that the dealer replaced. Thats just all normal wear items and at 106,000 miles that's pretty good.

Last edited by Darky; June 17th, 2004 at 10:37.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:49
NAXJA Member # 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywolf
IMHO go with the cherokee. you wont regret it i have a 99, and have never had any problems with it.
Of course, Kris rarely drives her Cherokee so maybe that has some bearing on it
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:01
NAXJA Forum User

Go with the cheapest one with the highest mileage. They'll run for over 200,000 miles so only one is over it's tenth life. Hell, they're not even broken in yet.
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:29
NAXJA Forum User

thanks guys. in the future after the jeep is payed off,i want to get a RE lift, i really like the 5.5" long arm extreme duty kit. id rather get this one instead of changing stuff to upgrade later, i would rather do it once the way i want it. what else will i need? what brand SYE do you recomend for a 2001 cherokee sport? what axles, front and back, custom? i would like 33" tires instead of 35" for more travel and articulation. what gears would you recomend for the 33" tires? mostly daily driving, occational offroad. what gears do you guys run front and back, any lockers? thanks
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSport96
It handles very good (definitely has the sport side of sport utility going on). It won't beat your Prelude, but hey its not meant to.
I would disagree if you have the 4.0 HO motor. My 92 Sport would take almost any V-6 around me. Yes, those that are tuned and stuff could beat me, but, they are cars, and the Jeep is an SUV. But, anyways, the 4.0 HO is a VERY strong motor! But, if you plan on lifting it, kiss the speed goodbye unless you regear, but even then, it's not quick. But, i really think you will be very happy with the cherokee.
Tylor
Old June 17th, 2004, 13:40
UH-60L Jeep Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-Man
Of course, Kris rarely drives her Cherokee so maybe that has some bearing on it

gee yucca, i wonder why...hmmm....i'll haveta think on that oh yea, i remember now, i'm stuck in IRAQ!

thats ok, i'm sure it'll have plenty of gremlins i'll need to work out once i get back to germany here in a month or so........new tires, new fluids, a REALLY good wash and vacuum job, and hopefully everything will still work right
Old June 17th, 2004, 13:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92jeeper
I would disagree if you have the 4.0 HO motor. My 92 Sport would take almost any V-6 around me. Yes, those that are tuned and stuff could beat me, but, they are cars, and the Jeep is an SUV. But, anyways, the 4.0 HO is a VERY strong motor! But, if you plan on lifting it, kiss the speed goodbye unless you regear, but even then, it's not quick. But, i really think you will be very happy with the cherokee.
Tylor
I meant on the handling front it wouldn't beat the Prelude. I've surprised a good many "sport compacts", many of which have multiple speed adding mods like loud myfflers and bits of plastic attached to the nose and scraping the pavement...I think they call those body kits...
Old June 17th, 2004, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

the 3rd generation prelude is the best handling car ive ever driven(if you have the chace to drive one youll see why i like it so much), thats why i dont know if i really want to sell it, its such a great car. plus i have tokico struts, H&R sport springs, chikara(heddman) header, K&N intake. but none of that darn ricey crap, i hate that so much.

but thats partly the reason i want a jeep, i dont really like the sport compact scene anymore, its all about your 1/4 mile time, and if your car is slower then the next guys, well then your car sucks, thats how it is. of course magazines are a totally different subject, those cars are nice. most cars in those magazines have at least 500hp. they dont have bratty kids with their 1.6L civics that have a wing, body kit, decals and muffler. and think their car is faster than a vette, if anything, their cars are slower than before from all that added weight lol. heres a picture of mine, nice and clean:

Old June 17th, 2004, 16:23
NAXJA Forum User

were 2001 cherokees avaliable with a 5speed? i would rather have a 5speed, but they seem more rare for the newer models. when was the last year they were avaliable? whats better anyways? for daily driving an auto would be better right? i know 5speeds are fun. if it was an option on 2001's, then ill hold out and wait to find a low-mile 5 speed cherokee.
Old June 17th, 2004, 16:31
NAXJA Member # 683

'00 and '01 SE models were available with a 5-speed, as a matter of fact it (the NV3550) is often considered a stronger manual tranny than the earlier AX-15 used from mid-89 to 99. The lack of manual trannies isn't a reflection of problems with the tranny, but rather because there's a growing population that doesn't know how to drive one. Whether it would be better for daily driving or not depends on your drive. My commute used to consist of 65 miles each way and the manual tranny saves an mpg or so, but if you're in heavy traffic fairly often it's much easier to go with an auto.
Old June 17th, 2004, 20:48
NAXJA Forum User

this should be my jeep within the next week, as long as they still have it, my plans for the future are a RE 4.5" super-flex kit, and whatever else i will need to finish it, but after looking on cardomain.com, i really really like the 4.5" lift with 31" or 32" tires. i cant wait to go look at it tomorrow at the dealer. its gonna be like brand new, only 10k miles on it. im REALLY happy that im getting an american car, im sick of imports, i feel like i owe this country something especially after 9/11. im gonna get an american flag decal in my back window like pickup trucks have.

the lift wont be for a while, ill be paying my parents back for it for a while. they are buying it, and then each month, what i have left after gas and insurance from my paycheck, im giving them, approximately 350-375/month. even more after i get my new job at a cabinet shop buolding cabinets and countertops. my job now is pushing carts at giant eagle getting $6.05, at least 25hrs a week. im supposed to get a raise when i turn 18, but it still isnt going to pay enough. the cabinet shop is going to start me off at about $9
an hour, and then once im more experienced, ill do different things and get payed more.
what width of a tire would you recomend?
31x?
32x?
what about the wheel width? i want a 15" wheel. either chrome or black, i cant decide what i like best on this maroon color.

Last edited by Rayman1007; June 17th, 2004 at 20:56.
Old June 17th, 2004, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Terry
Go with the cheapest one with the highest mileage. They'll run for over 200,000 miles so only one is over it's tenth life. Hell, they're not even broken in yet.
Bite your tounge, 200,000 is barely broken in, I figure my 98 is good for atleast another 200,000. I expect this baby to beat my 82 S-10 which had 680,000mi when I sold it.. I'm at 198,000mi now...
Old June 17th, 2004, 21:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman1007
this should be my jeep within the next week, as long as they still have it, my plans for the future are a RE 4.5" super-flex kit, and whatever else i will need to finish it, but after looking on cardomain.com, i really really like the 4.5" lift with 31" or 32" tires. i cant wait to go look at it tomorrow at the dealer. its gonna be like brand new, only 10k miles on it. im REALLY happy that im getting an american car, im sick of imports, i feel like i owe this country something especially after 9/11. im gonna get an american flag decal in my back window like pickup trucks have.

the lift wont be for a while, ill be paying my parents back for it for a while. they are buying it, and then each month, what i have left after gas and insurance from my paycheck, im giving them, approximately 350-375/month. even more after i get my new job at a cabinet shop buolding cabinets and countertops. my job now is pushing carts at giant eagle getting $6.05, at least 25hrs a week. im supposed to get a raise when i turn 18, but it still isnt going to pay enough. the cabinet shop is going to start me off at about $9
an hour, and then once im more experienced, ill do different things and get payed more.
what width of a tire would you recomend?
31x?
32x?
what about the wheel width? i want a 15" wheel. either chrome or black, i cant decide what i like best on this maroon color.
The normal building progression is:
Factory service manual if you are going to do this work yourself, invaluable and the best $100 you will ever spend.
Skid plates, Tow points, rocker skids second, both front and rear, you can do this with brackets, you cant just mount hooks to the XJ frame, or bumpers that have them built in.
www.tomken.com good prices on bumpers
www.quadratec.com for jeep stuff and a whole bunch more.
Tow straps, fire extinguisher, cb radio, local off road club
Bigger tires need bigger gears, 5 speeds XJ's come with 3:07's stock, autos come with 3:53's stock. 4:10s are ideal for 30 - 32 Inch tires.
Stick with the stock steel wheels, they are less prone to breakage on rocks.
Start reading the postings here, you will learn alot..