• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case drop help

Remove 4 bolts, drop Xmember, add spacers, insert 4 new bolts, tighten. Use plenty of PBBlaster. Do one side at a time if you can. Much easier that way if doing it by yourself.

actually you will remove two bolts and two studs, one each per side, I was told to do the driver side first and then the passenger side, use the two nuts and double nut the studs to remove them, other option is the cut,drill,easyout method, Use a jack to support the crossmember and only lower it enough to get the spacer on then install new hardware. I started this mod thinking it would take a half hour then ran out of time, first bolt I started on was the most rusted bolt I've ever found on my XJ and yeah, it broke.

Forgot about the 2 studs. Go and get yourself a stud remover. It is well worth the $$. I would say stay away from the ezouts. They quickly become ezbroken and then are a pain to drill through. PBBlast everything, then do it again. A propane torch is a handy tool to have around, helps getting the stuff moving.

Urban Redneck said:
Forgot about the 2 studs. Go and get yourself a stud remover. It is well worth the $$. I would say stay away from the ezouts. They quickly become ezbroken and then are a pain to drill through. PBBlast everything, then do it again. A propane torch is a handy tool to have around, helps getting the stuff moving.

Make sure the PB blaster has dried before using the propane torch.:flame:

Back