• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 into 89XJ

Jaysheep

NAXJA Forum User
We just yanked a D44 out of my brothers old CJ, he put in fullsize 14 bolts. I am thinking about putting the 44 under my 89 XJ to replace the d35 out back. I am not sure what gears he was using, but there is a lock right in it. I think I will just have to replace the U bolts for the leafs, just eyeballing it it looks like everything else will work? Haven't taken any measurments yet or had the 2 axles side by side to compare though.

Any idea if:
The shock mounts are the same?
The width is about the same?
U joints look like they will work, but I will be getting a new custom DS anyway, so that is workable.
Anything I am forgetting?

CJ wheels are 5 bolts on a 5.5" circle, XJs are 5 on 4.5". CJ springs were 2" wide, XJ springs are 2.5" wide.

Doesn't sound like a match made in Heaven.

Hmmm i wasn't aware of the spring width diff..... I new about the lug space, but wasn't too concerned. I was planning on finding a front to match or seeing what I could do to make one match. But hell since its free I will try to make it work anyway I can!

It could be narrower than the XJ. I think the wide body (YJ/TJ width) came with Model 20 rear ends. Also, what has been mentioned already..........

It's worth something, but not the best candidate for an easy swap into an XJ.

It has the spring over, and its definetly a D44 not a D20. i am not positive that its the original axle though, I just know that axle was in it when my bro bought it 5 or 6 years ago.

Some 1986 CJ7 and 8s had a D44 back there, but it's supposed to be narrower than the XJ from what I recall. The D44 was also offered as a rear axle in CJ5 and 6 up until 1975, but that is definitely a narrower axle

If it is a late model CJ axle (wide track), it will be narrower than the XJ rear. I'm guessing around 4" at least. These axles are fairly sought after (I just sold my CJ-5, so I'm very familiar with CJ's) and it might be beneficial to sell this off and buy a real XJ D-44 rear end. Way less work in the long run, and you might even come out ahead financially...

Back